El Norte?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The winds really died down for the morning dives. It wasn't too bad. I wouldn't have wanted to go to Marecaibo (sp?), but getting to Palancar was fine. The ride back after the port closure was a little rough. I had to stand for most of it. There was no staying dry with the rain blowing south and us heading north, though.

That cold wet ride back is the only time I ever wished I was on a big slow boat with lots of cover!

This wind is northEAST so the further south you go the calmer it will get - it will also be calmer and calmer as the day progresses because it will continue to shift.

As a reminder - the wind direction is more telling for port conditions than speed in most cases.

N, NW, W, SW at 10knots or more - good chance of small craft advisory a/k/a port closure

NE - typically ok on west side for diving

ENE, E, SE = this is what we want to see - this is ideal for diving regardless of wind speed (unless it’s a hurricane of course)

Port was declared open sometime around 8:30 AM. So we got a late start and went to Maracaibo. Pretty calm getting in, a little rough after the dive. SI at Palancar, then went to Cedral. It was a relief getting in the water as it felt a lot warmer than the air. We could feel the temperature change coming up after the dive. The way back was windy, partially wet and cold. Interestingly, the currents were mild on both dives.
The word is that the wind should shift and be OK for diving on Thursday, but you never know .

Hope all this “weather” gets out of the system soon...I’m headed there next week.

Port was declared open sometime around 8:30 AM. So we got a late start and went to Maracaibo. Pretty calm getting in, a little rough after the dive. SI at Palancar, then went to Cedral. It was a relief getting in the water as it felt a lot warmer than the air. We could feel the temperature change coming up after the dive. The way back was windy, partially wet and cold. Interestingly, the currents were mild on both dives.
The word is that the wind should shift and be OK for diving on Thursday, but you never know .
I was a little cold at the end of the second dive. It was nice diving with you and Laura.

Al

Looks like another one may come thru early next week. Still a long week out but it might be worth watching.

WG Galveston, East beach (WS = MPH):
upload_2018-12-4_5-14-21.png

WG Cozumel (WS=MPH):
upload_2018-12-4_5-16-58.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-4_5-12-6.png
    upload_2018-12-4_5-12-6.png
    23.9 KB · Views: 44
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom