El Norte?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

According to Memo from Aldora, the closest decent reef to access from shore on the East side is 200 - 300m from shore and it can be dangerous due to currents ESPECIALLY to those who are unfamiliar with the area.

Read my post again - I am not talking about the East side - I am very familiar with what Aldora does and they do it legally. Aldora in fact has the ONLY permits to operate on the East side and I support them 100% - in fact, Memo is a very good friend of mine.

Ah yes. I may have misunderstood. I was focused on the "All aquatic activities" quote and missed the bigger context.

Cameron

Ah yes. I may have misunderstood. I was focused on the "All aquatic activities" quote and missed the bigger context.

Cameron
Thank you Cameron. I know that you are a highly skilled and trained diver and are a regular visitor for extended periods of time so are more familiar with conditions, etc. - but as operators and a destination - we have to follow local regulations, recommendations and safety protocols for our visitors.

We have 3 boats out today on the east side with 15 divers and three DMs. They will still be there tomorrow but the wind is expected to shift a little bit to the east-- so instead of Hanan and the Galleon it may restrict us to the far southern sites such as Rastas or El Islote.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

BTW the logistics of this is a real challenge, with captains having to sleep on boats, dragging gear, food, etc over all day and night….of course with extra pay. We don't charge our divers more but provide this as a special service. I've been afraid to closely examine the economics-- but just have to remind myself that we are in the business of making happy divers.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

I have sat out on the lawn at Blue Angel during a port closure, watching the waves break over the shallow formations and crash onto the concrete walk between the dive shop and the pier. There is no way I'd go out shore diving in that. DSFDF and YMMV.

We were diving from Isla Mujeres last year about this time and they had just opened the port in time for the morning dives. We froze our butts off during the SI and wimped out on the second dive. It wasn't the choppy surface that was the real issue for us in that particular case--it was the wind itself.

We were diving from Isla Mujeres last year about this time and they had just opened the port in time for the morning dives. We froze our butts off during the SI and wimped out on the second dive. It wasn't the choppy surface that was the real issue for us in that particular case--it was the wind itself.

Gotta confess. I stuck my nose out on the breeze today and decided I didn't want to try to get into my double 7mm wetsuit and called the hypothetical dive before loading up tanks... I'm a wimp.

Met a couple Aldora divers over supper, they loved the east side today and enjoyed the critters in the ledges including a lovely turtle.

Sad on my dry day.
Cameron

Meh...not a wimp. There are far worse places than Coz to get blown out. The dive buddies are fun, the food is good, and the (good) tequila is cheap. Suck it up, buttercup.:)

WE are diving the east side again today, and as expected the wind has shifted slightly to the east but still ok for us. Tomorrow we may be out of luck, or just stage way down south instead of Chen Rio. Like Christi mentioned, Monday is almost certain to have the port be open for normal diving.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom