elastic crotch strap?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dumpsterDiver

Banned
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I'm setting up my first BP and wings (for a single tank) after using regular (jacket) BC's for over 20 years. Soon I'm gonna find out for myself if you all are full of crap or not about the BP/W setup being superior...

Previously I had a BC which did not fit so well and I rigged a crotch strap and it worked ok. It seemed to be especially useful when wearing a full 7mm suit which required a lot of air in the BC at depth. For a thin suit, the crotch strap on the BC was not useful and I eliminated it.

I'm wondering if my idea about using an elastic crotch strap is somehow dangerous.

I have tied a 4-inch loop of heavy bugi cord material on the bottom, center of plate. (This is not latex tubing). Then, using a small brass "dog clip" I attached a 3/4 inch wide nylon belt to the loop of bungi and then (on the other end) put a fastex, adjustable, quick release clip between the loop for the belt and the crotch strap. I'm hoping that the elasticity will be beneficial and more comfortable. The dog clip will make the entire strap easily removable, before a dive if I find that I don't need a crotch strap.

I dive exclusively in the ocean on reefs and around (but not really inside) wrecks, and normally without a buddy at depths between about 80 and 190 ft. I'm not interested in becoming "DIR", however I'm trying to incrementally improve my gear set-up. I have no technical training, but I have read pretty much about it and just recently found this forum. I've read enough to know that the DIR system is holistic, however I'm wondering if anyone can be helpful and objective enough to comment on the crtoch strap configuration.

I have already incorporated the DIR waist strap knife sheath configuration and also always remove the cumerbund from BC's and just use a buckle and belt for the waist.
Also after recently witnessing a near drowning due to improper pony bottle regulator placement, I'm now trying to try put the pony reg on a neck strap. I use 100% oxyen for Deco on deep dives and avoid metal to metal connections. All these things are ideas that I've read about from DIR.

I have tried the DIR rubber fins (XL jet fins) for years, however I'm now very convinced that for my diving, the large freediving fins work considerably better for me.

Thank You and this is not a troll post.

dumpsterDiver:
Soon I'm gonna find out for myself if you all are full of crap or not about the BP/W setup being superior...

I doubt it.

New Hog Forum rule...

... any time DIR is mentioned more than three times in a post that post should be moved to the DIR Forum. :D

MaxBottomtime:
Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the crotch strap? It's supposed to keep the unit from riding up your body

The bungi gives the strap maybe 2 inches of stretch and that is all. I'm hoping that it can be adjusted to put a gentle, somewhat constant pull and be able to adjust for any suit compression. If the bungi allows it to ride up, it wont be very far....

I made this post to get answers, not to answer more questions???

dumpsterDiver:
I'm wondering if my idea about using an elastic crotch strap is somehow dangerous.

I'm amazed that this would enter your mind... the dangerous bit, I mean.

dumpsterDiver:
I dive exclusively in the ocean on reefs and around (but not really inside) wrecks, and normally without a buddy at depths between about 80 and 190 ft. I'm not interested in becoming "DIR", however I'm trying to incrementally improve my gear set-up. I have no technical training, but I have read pretty much about it and just recently found this forum.

You forgot to mention that you use air for those 190 foot dives.

dumpsterDiver:
I have tried the DIR rubber fins (XL jet fins) for years, however I'm now very convinced that for my diving, the large freediving fins work considerably better for me.

Of course they do!

dumpsterDiver:
Thank You and this is not a troll post.

Right... :wink:

I didn't mention the air thing, since I already know it is stupid...

dumpsterDiver:
I didn't mention the air thing, since I already know it is stupid...

... that's some funny stuff! I bet you're a hoot after a few brews!

If you are using a single aluminum tank then your idea of using a bungee/elastic will probably cause you no difficulties,just strange looks from other DIR disciples. This probably borders on sacrilege,but why not use a normal crotch strap with a quick release. I know you said you've read the DIR propaganda,but there has never been a quick release failure that anybody had documented.

I have LP OMS steel 121 and 108 and also Al 100 and 80's and carry a Al 13 cu-ft pony and carry a Al 14 cu-ft oxygen bottle sometimes. As far as strange looks from DIR people.. well I don't dive with any of them and don't know any personally... or I would be aking them this question. And thank you for the replies. We will see in a few hours how it works

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom