Electrical outlets in Fiji, is this the adapter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Going to Fiji next year. Is this the correct power adapter for Fiji receptacles? I understand that I'll also need a converter from 240 V to 120 V for use with USA appliances.

Australia / China Non-Grounded Adapter. Walkabout Travel Gear LLC

Thanks for the info,
DMdoogie

That's the one: two prongs, each 45 degrees off the vertical. Voltage is 220/240 VAC. Many electrical/electronic devices sold in the USA will operate on either 110/120 or 220/240 VAC; check the labels.

As was said, 99% of all American (Japanese, Chinese, etc) plug ins including Chargers work better direct than with a converter! Just read the label, I use a power strip with one plug adapter / \ as long as the power strip is rated for 220! Then you can use the strip like your home! :wink:

Adapter.JPG
Standard electricity in Fiji is 240 volts, 50 cycles AC. A converter (with Australian angled, flat, 2 pin adapter) is required to operate U.S. made appliances (such as most battery chargers). Some hotels and resorts offer a receptacle for 110 volt use, which can be used to charge batteries. Note: Transformers only convert the voltage, not the frequency. The difference in cycles may cause the motor in a 60 Hz appliance to operate slightly slower when used on 50 Hz electricity. This cycle difference will cause electric clocks and timing circuits to keep incorrect time: American clocks operating on Fijian current will lose around 10 minutes every hour when used in Fiji. However, most modern electronic equipment like battery chargers, computers, printers, stereos, DVD players, etc. are usually not affected by the difference in cycles and adjust themselves accordingly the slower cycles. The difference between a converter and a transformer lies in how the device converts voltage current. A. C. (alternating current) power is supplied in bursts that are in a shape called a "sine wave". To reduce 230 V to 110 V, a converter chops the sine waves in half, whereas a transformer alters the length of the sine waves. This is a critical difference because electronic devices require a full sine wave for operation. This is why they can only operate with a transformer. Electric appliances function with either a full or a half sine wave, so they can be used with either a converter or a transformer. The converter's "chopping" off of sine waves is a relatively simple and compact function. The transformer's alteration of sine waves is a relatively sophisticated function and requires more space. As a result, transformers are generally larger, heavier and much more expensive than converters. In case you forget to check what the local voltage and frequency is, there’s a trick. Take a look at an ordinary light bulb where you can read the voltage and frequency on either the glass or metal base!

I don't get you point unless we are talking taking your TV? If you look at your charger for batteries, cameras, or about anything else made in Japan, Taiwan, China, Indonesia, India, and yes even America they work of both 110 and 220 50 to 60 cycles. I have been traveling to Fiji for ten years and also have hundreds of dives and many weeks of staying there and have never needed a Converter! But have seen them over heat and cause problems as well as one more heavy thing to pack! The Surge Protector must be able to handle 220, but the system works great! Now if you have some kind of requirement for Sine Wave sensitive piece of electronics then by all means us one, but the transformer built into most chargers will work fine! I once ordered an electronic item from the internet and it came with both US and Slant cords and both plugged into the same charger! But if anyone wants to spend the extra money remember it's your to spend! :wink:

BTW the burst thing is very funny and completely wrong! But funny! The polarity reverses and has nothing to do with a burst or surge! Alternating current in order to transmit it over longer distances to over come resistance, ask Mr. Ohms!

I don't get you point unless we are talking taking your TV? If you look at your charger for batteries, cameras, or about anything else made in Japan, Taiwan, China, Indonesia, India, and yes even America they work of both 110 and 220 50 to 60 cycles. I have been traveling to Fiji for ten years and also have hundreds of dives and many weeks of staying there and have never needed a Converter! But have seen them over heat and cause problems as well as one more heavy thing to pack! The Surge Protector must be able to handle 220, but the system works great! Now if you have some kind of requirement for Sine Wave sensitive piece of electronics then by all means us one, but the transformer built into most chargers will work fine! I once ordered an electronic item from the internet and it came with both US and Slant cords and both plugged into the same charger! But if anyone wants to spend the extra money remember it's your to spend! :wink:

BTW the burst thing is very funny and completely wrong! But funny! The polarity reverses and has nothing to do with a burst or surge! Alternating current in order to transmit it over longer distances to over come resistance, ask Mr. Ohms!

Papa_Bear, Sorry if you misunderstood my post - my point was that you usually don't need a converter, only the adapter in most cases. You would need a converter for any appliance that only accepted 110V current, including most hair dryers and curling irons, etc. Personally, I never travel with a converter for the reasons you mention. Your power strip is a good idea (your point that the strip be rated for 220 is well noted) if you have several things to plug in at once, but also bulky and more expensive. If you only have 2 or 3 things to power up at once, taking that many adapters is still lighter and less bulky, and they plug into one another for easy packing. The adapters can be purchased very inexpensively all over Fiji, including at most resorts and local shops.

Thanks for the info. My Energizer AA charger is only labelled as 120V, so I'll take the converter.
DMdoogie

Might be cheaper to buy a dual voltage charger than a good converter and it won't weigh as much..... My AA chargers all work on both, a Sanyo, and a couple Generic ones I got buying the batteries. Even my Quick charger from Everready is dual!

In Fiji in the bathrooms, most of the decent resorts have outlets for electric shavers. They are labelled Shaver Only, but I've plugged in battery charger no problem. These outlets have direct slots for 220/240 (slant plugs), 110 (straight and round plugs), si it shouldn't be a drama.

Thanks for the tip. I got a dual voltage AA charger on E-bay for $3, and a short 4 slot extension cord at Home Depot. Light weight is good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom