Electronics ban

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ricardo V.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've been watching and listening to news reports this afternoon announcing an imminent ban on electronics onboard flights leaving the US, with new laws requiring them to be transported as checked luggage.

This is going to impact us underwater photo enthusiasts. I've been traveling with my Canon7D, and all supporting items with no problem. At first, when I was new to UWPhotography back in 2009, I checked everything in a large pelican case on a trip to Bonaire, and while everything made it in one piece, one of the main latch-locks sheared off like if it had gone through a buzz saw. It probably got cought by a conveyor machine and it just cut it right off the case.

Since then, I've been traveling with: cameras, lenses, strobes, lights, batteries, laptop and housing neatly packed in my carry on and checking things like arms, clamps and ports.

I'm thinking this practice of keeping our most fragile electronic in sight, will soon have to change.

A see a new pelican case coming my way, and maybe there is one in yours too.

Cheers.

new laws requiring them to be transported as checked luggage

What I don't understand how this is going to be safer and more secure, what difference is it going to make if these electronics are in the cabin or with checked in luggage. It is still in the same flight.

I've been watching and listening to news reports this afternoon announcing an imminent ban on electronics onboard flights leaving the US, with new laws requiring them to be transported as checked luggage./QUOTE]
What reports are you speaking of? I have seen nothing.
The current ban is on certain flights entering the US, not leaving flights.

Im watching CNN and MSNBC.
Sorry, I find no news about this. Are you sure it is not just a rebroadcast old report about the US saying flights from certain airports to the US have a laptop/electronics ban on them?

ADDED:
OK, I found what you probably saw. Same old same old. Maybe maybe.
DHS secretary: Electronics ban may be expanded to flights departing US - CNNPolitics.com

Take a look at what some of the middle eastern airlines are doing to counter our current ban:
Emirates Responds to Laptop Ban by Loaning Out Microsoft Surface Tablets

Last edited:
I know that CNN has been called fake, but I still believe them. Just Google electronics ban and see what you get. I'm concerned that if an the electronic ban goes in effect, it will impact carry on practices for a lot of us.

I'm not saying the electronic ban is in effect just now on flights leaving the US overseas. I'm starting this post with concern over announcements that homeland security or some federal agency with oversight of these issues, is considering placing a ban on carry on electronics in flights leaving the US to overseas destinations.

I hope it's not true, but that's what CNN reported this afternoon, and I believe them.

This only affects the US. The rest of the world can keep their shoes on and fly as normal.

I made the admission several years ago that no matter what I will be paying excess baggage fees when I go on a dive trip. I bought several Pelican/Storm/etc. type cases. Camera goes in one, rebreather in another, and pack everything else in 2 carry-ons. I don't even bother bringing toiletries, you can pick up toothpaste and deodorant at any convenience store around the world.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom