Embarrassed to ask - safety stop question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mat K

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Ok, so this query has been bugging me for the last few weeks...

A recent dive to 12/13m went well. The dive was mainly in the 6 to 9 m range with a few minutes in the 10+ depth. I use a D4i and, I noticed, as expected that mid way through the dive (after having spent time at the deepest part) it counted down the 3 minute safety stop. This was mid way through the dive. We briefly went below 10m again and I was expecting to see the safety stop pop up again but it didn’t.

The end of the dive was a very gradual and slow ascent to 1.5m (a shore dive).

I’ve scrolled through the details on the D4i. It certainly doesn’t indicate I missed a stop but nor does it say I did one (which I thought it’s supposed to). Please can anyone explain?

The safety stop is an optional stop meant to be done after deep dives. Out of adherence to established guidelines, Suunto computers call for one anytime you go below 10 meters. However, the stop is enforced loosely. In my experience, going down after completing a safety stop on Suuntos doesn't trigger it again.
I haven't tried going much further down for an extended period and seeing if that would cause Suunto to call for a safety stop again.

The computer doesn't consider skipping a safety stop a violation, so it wouldn't impose errors or penalties for it.

Does that behavior make sense? Not really, but, in the age of computers giving exact numbers, one would be better served by dual GF (very low for recommended profile plus high for ceiling) than by a fixed safety stop from the days of table diving.

I'm sorry that I can't answer you better because I don't dive a Suunto. My computer restarts the count down. Be that as it may, the most important computer we dive with is between our ears. :)

My computer starts the countdown 5' below where I want it to start counting but it gives me two options to set it at 15' (4.6 m) and 20'. (6 m). Therefore, I've selected the option of 15', which means it starts counting down at 20', which is perfect for me.

If I haven't gone into deco during the dive, there's no penalty whether I finish one of the stops or not but it still counts it down. I've heard but can not confirm that Suunto's don't do the same.

Why yours starts counting down at 30' (10m), is more confusing to me. Are you able to set yours?

Last edited:
With Suunto computers, if you already did a complete stop and then went down again but stayed shallower than 12 meters, it won't tell you to do a safety-stop again. In regards to the computer saying that you did a stop, it won't says so clearly but it will show your profile underwater when you download the log including the time and depth for your safety stop without being explicit stating that it was a safety stop.

That’s really helpful to know. I’ll get the connection lead and take a look at the profiles in more detail.

I do a lot of shallow diving since I like being with fish and underwater life.

I've had this happen a bunch when I used to rent Suunto computers. I would be diving 20-40 feet, then I end up in 18 or so feet of water and the timer starts. I would go back down at it would disappear. Most times I went back down to depth after the timer started so it told me to do a safety stop again once I got back towards the surface.

I do a lot of shallow diving since I like being with fish and underwater life.

I've had this happen a bunch when I used to rent Suunto computers. I would be diving 20-40 feet, then I end up in 18 or so feet of water and the timer starts. I would go back down at it would disappear. Most times I went back down to depth after the timer started so it told me to do a safety stop again once I got back towards the surface.

I dive a D4i also. This is what they do. Very good chance of missing the 2nd SS with the long shallow ascent. Most of our diving is Bonaire shore dives with a lot of time spent in less than 20' coming back in. It's real easy to have not looked at the DC for the 3 minutes it was counting down.

With Suunto computers, if you already did a complete stop and then went down again but stayed shallower than 12 meters, it won't tell you to do a safety-stop again. In regards to the computer saying that you did a stop, it won't says so clearly but it will show your profile underwater when you download the log including the time and depth for your safety stop without being explicit stating that it was a safety stop.

This also. If you completed the 1st stop, it won't start a new one unless you descend far enough. If you only dropped to 20-30', it won't give you another SS. With real long slow ascents, Suuntos won't show a SS in the profile. Very few of mine from Bonaire show a SS, but will have 15-20 minutes above 20'.

This isn't specific to suuntos, my cressi does the same thing. Moreover it'll start the countdown if you pop up to 5-ish metres but will continue while you stay within 2-to-7-ish metres. So if you end your dive in the shallows you can trigger your SS and clear it without even noticing. And it won't trigger a SS at all if you don't go below 10 metres or so.

A recent dive to 12/13m went well. The dive was mainly in the 6 to 9 m range with a few minutes in the 10+ depth. I use a D4i and, I noticed, as expected that mid way through the dive (after having spent time at the deepest part) it counted down the 3 minute safety stop. This was mid way through the dive. We briefly went below 10m again and I was expecting to see the safety stop pop up again but it didn’t. Please can anyone explain?
What Burhan said! Once you have done a safety stop, unless you really go deep again, the computer won't be triggered for another.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom