Emergency Ascent with a Bail Out Bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stone

Contributor
Reaction score
We live in Valparaiso, FL and dive out of Destin,
If you are bored and have Excel on your computer, here is a semi-user friendly spreadsheet that compares two divers that have to switch to their "Bail Out" bottles at 100 fsw.

The user can input:

1) The size of the bail out bottle (cubic feet)
2) The ascent rate (feet per minute)
3) Diver breathing rate (breaths per minute) which is used to calculate SAC (both divers have the same lung capacity of .058 cf)

The results are plotted on a graph that shows "Minutes of Gas Remaining" vs depth.

Download the Excel format of "Bail Out Comparison" or click on the HTML format to see an example.

Here's the Link.

Thanks for the link.

Ran my numbers , RMV (SAC) is 0.6 cfm
So I used 10 breaths per minute, and 0.06 cf vol
I'd need 6 cuft to get to the surface at 30 ft/min

No safety stop, so I'd want 10 or 15 cu ft bottle, me thinks.

Mike D

:blfish:

Mike,

My spreadsheet is fun for visualizing an ascent from 100 fsw under different conditions, but MikeS has a spreadsheet that calculates gas requirements from any depth (and it allows you to incorporate X number of minutes to solve a problem at depth and Y number of minutes for a safety stop). Our numbers come out the same, so my confidence in both spreadsheet is pretty good.

[Disclaimer] Neither of us endorse actual planning with these things.[/Disclaimer]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom