Emergency Equipment to Assist Search and Rescue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have just purchased today two McMurdo 220 PLBs along with special waterproof canisters (150M) since I am in the UK at the moment and they are available here.

I will post some photos when they arrive.

Where did you get the canisters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sealife camera O-rings do not require silicone grease, in fact they advise against using it, so you might look into those.

There are many types of material that O-rings are made from. Some are more suitable for some applications/environments than others. Also, whether or not O-ring grease is recommended can depend upon the equipment used and how the seal is achieved. A simple compression seal can usually manage without lube. A push-on capture seal would require lube to prevent the O-ring being distorted irrespective of the material it is made from.

As I mentioned previously, one of the many advantages of a larger type canister is that it can easily accommodate the new generation of 5w handheld VHF Marine radios without the antenna being detached (it flexes down in the canister). Bought myself a couple of Uniden Voyager radios yesterday. When looking at what radio to buy particularly consider the IP rating (or equivalent). They are all OK in a boat...but be sure to get one that can be submerged to at least a meter for use on the ocean's surface.

Same for PLBs...the small ones don't generally float without a neoprene cover...and then, as I discovered with my McMurdo 220...they don't float in the correct orientation for signal transmission. Do you really want to hand hold your PLB upright in the water for 24 hours (probably a lot longer)?

In many locations where there is a lot of boat traffic and good coast guard monitoring it makes a lot of sense to try the radio first before activating a PLB.

Attachments

• ePOD.jpg
    ePOD.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 92
  • Floating sideways.jpg
    Floating sideways.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
The thing to remember is that a PLB is used only in an emergency situation where loss of life, limb, or possessions is imminent. A boat fire, lost boat, heart attack, etc...

The thing to remember is that a PLB is used only in an emergency situation where loss of life, limb, or possessions is imminent. A boat fire, lost boat, heart attack, etc...

and floating around on your own with your buddy after the boat has buggered off without you (or sunk) in some remote location

Personally I have never been in that situation up until now.

I have surfaced after a dive and the boat was gone, however the shore was less than a kilometre from the dive site, and the boat did pitch up when we had almost reached the shore.

On another occasion I was swept off by the current during a safety stop whilst diving up in Musandam (North Oman) and when I surfaced I was several Km from the dive boat. My SMB was the only thing on me that signalled my position, even though I had one of these air horns on my BC inflator that nobody heard on the boat due to engine noise etc., kinda really makes me wonder why they attach a whistle to BCs, as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike.

My company sells ACR PLBs. Am I allowed to say that? :) Anyway, ACR just activated their annual winter promotion. It runs from Sept 1 to Dec 31. $100 cash rebate for Aqualink View PLB and $50 cash rebate for every other PLB. But, it's only available in USA and USA territories. (unless you know how to get around that restriction) :wink:

My company sells ACR PLBs. Am I allowed to say that? :)
Only if you include your link & prices. :eyebrow:

I am still amazed at how much prices vary on these. For example, Sportsdealbox.com charges $710 for the Aqualink View PLB vs $390 at Thegpsstore.com. :eek:

Anyway, ACR just activated their annual winter promotion. It runs from Sept 1 to Dec 31. $100 cash rebate for Aqualink View PLB and $50 cash rebate for every other PLB. But, it's only available in USA and USA territories. (unless you know how to get around that restriction) :wink:
Sweet! :thumb: Get a lifesaving PLB for $200 after rebate, good for 5 years = $40/year to be sure you can get help when you need it, virtually anywhere. Too many Americans count on cell coverage, then die when they need help outside of coverage. I never leave home without mine in the car, then take it when I explore. AND - if you ever do need it, after you're saved, return it with a good rescue story and they'll replace the battery for free!

I used to have the ACR link that provided comparisons of the units, but can't find it now. Even going to their respective pages for each unit, they don't show the View as able to float, but the Gpsstore says that it does. Fancy unit with lots of features. :eyebrow:

In their smaller PLBs, I still wonder why anyone would want the 2880 that doesn't float? The 2881 does float, same price, only a fraction of an inch larger and a fraction of ounce heavier.

Edit: Found the comparison chart, except it doesn't include buoyancy for any unit either. Make sure you get one that floats: Personal Locator Beacon Comparison Chart | ACR ARTEX

Last edited:
In their smaller PLBs, I still wonder why anyone would want the 2880 that doesn't float? The 2881 does float, same price, only a fraction of an inch larger and a fraction of ounce heavier.

The 2880 can float, you just need to have the optional neoprene flotation pouch, which is like $15 or so. The 2880 is slimmer and can easily slide into a back pocket in a pair of jeans or something, 2881 not so much. It somewhat bulkier to be able to float by itself. Hikers, biker, mountaineers, and skiers, etc. like the 2880 a lot. People who do both land and marine activities sometimes go with the 2880 w/ pouch. The GPSstore is one of the cheapest places around, that's why I hate them, LOL. Looks like Sportsdealbox, and other places like that, still have the old original prices when they first came out, they used to cost that much at first. But ACR has dropped the prices a lot since then, they need to compete with McMurdo.

:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom