Emergency kit for trip to Indonesia (PLB, Radio, etc.)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alexei

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Me and my wife are travelling to Indonesia Raja Ampat for 12 days liveaboard diving trip at the beginning of December. (Until now we have been going to Caribbean.)

I wanted to ask for an advice on what emergency equipment to purchase. So far, I have very much nothing for such equipment, so need to do some purchasing.

Any wisdom on what to get, what to not get, what can or can not be brought into Indonesia, etc. will be much appreciated.

I was thinking may be:
  1. flares
  2. PLB
I was thinking about this ResQLink™+ PLB with this canister.

Any advice on if the PLB is any good? Any alternatives to canister - not sure if it will arrive in time from Australia?​
  1. radio
Any opinions on this one Nautilus LifeLine Official Website: Marine Rescue GPS? Looks like it just about to start shipping.​

Boy, I don't think I'd mess with traveling with any flares....probably violate air travel laws and maybe even some countries import/possession laws.

I think the new lifeline only works if there is someone with a modern radio on the other end. It isn't a voice signal, it's a digital signal that appears on their automated plot. So if you drift into the shipping lanes it would be useful, not at all sure dive boats there would have the tech needed.

Skip the flare. Indonesian custom is a nightmare as is. Bring that in will just make your wallet thinner.

With R4, I'd say just bring the normal stuff: mirror, glow sticks, and buy a dive alert if you don't have one.

I'd buy the older version of Nautilus instead of new one.

Have a good time. R4 is awesome and it is like no place you've been to before.

Skip the flare. Indonesian custom is a nightmare as is. Bring that in will just make your wallet thinner.

With R4, I'd say just bring the normal stuff: mirror, glow sticks, and buy a dive alert if you don't have one.

I'd buy the older version of Nautilus instead of new one.

Have a good time. R4 is awesome and it is like no place you've been to before.

I plan to bring mirror, flashlight, SMB, 500ml water bottle & PLB1 all in my BCD pocket plus Dive-Alert airhorn for my next (6th) trip to Raja Ampat.

One thing I like about the RescueMe PLB1, it is small enough to fit inside my BCD pocket inside a camera case & have a capability of sending 5 watts 406 MHz signal straight up to the SAR satellites, instead of 1 watt iffy radio signal to another boat & hoping the Indonesian boat would listen to, or have the capability of intercepting, Channel 16 VHF international distress frequency of the Nautilus Lifeline. My guess is the boats down there would just have a simple radio communication.

I just came back from GBR with Mike Ball's Spoilsport liveaboard to Cod Hole. They use the old Nautilus Lifeline. Boy that thing is huge. See the side-by-side comparison picture of it with my PLB1 in my old camera case, below.

M0033749.JPG

I plan to bring mirror, flashlight, SMB, 500ml water bottle & PLB1 all in my BCD pocket plus Dive-Alert airhorn for my next (6th) trip to Raja Ampat.

One thing I like about the RescueMe PLB1, it is small enough to fit inside my BCD pocket inside a camera case & have a capability of sending 5 watts 406 MHz signal straight up to the SAR satellites, instead of 1 watt iffy radio signal to another boat & hoping the Indonesian boat would listen to, or have the capability of intercepting, Channel 16 VHF international distress frequency of the Nautilus Lifeline. My guess is the boats down there would just have a simple radio communication. . .
]
And for US Citizens, don't forget to register online your trip with the State Dept, with full itinerary & resort/liveaboard contact info, emergency contact info, as well as providing your PLB's NOAA registration number under "additional/optional info and/or comments":

Smart Traveler Enrollment Program
24 Hour Consular Emergency Line: U.S. 1.888.407.4747 / Outside the U.S. 1.202.501.4444

Your tax dollars fund it, so you should know about it and utilize it as well. . . (In other words, registering your trip not only helps in a SAR contingency in the country of your visit, but also in a natural disaster, political unrest, disease epidemic --or even just losing your passport-- at least the US Embassy/Consulate knows you're there. . .)

When doing Remote live aboard diving I carry a strobe, 6' SMB, dye marker, whistle, dive alert air horn, a hat and am about to add a Rescue Streamer.

Last edited:
As said above by Buddha a 6 foot SMB as the current in R4 can be exciting! A reef hook and Imodium are also in my kit for Indonesia.

What is a Rescue Steamer?

Back
Top Bottom