Emergency Post

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DEEP SEA

Contributor
Reaction score
CALIFORNIA DIVERS, BOATERS, FISHERMAN, SURFERS, ETC. WE ARE BEING SCREWED! :fire:

A new law is about to pass and is well on its way. In fact, it has already been funded just waiting for some dumb A## to draw lines on a map. :fury:

What lines you may ask?

The powers to be want to shut down all fishing (sport as well as commercial), diving, surfing, wadding, from San Diego to Los Angelas! How they kept this a secret I will never know.

Mario is doing some research and hopefully will post ASAP with findings. Anyone who really knows what is going on and/or any way we can voice our disapproval should post immediately. This is not a joke!

Deep Sea,

Are you referring to the MPLA or something like that. I was reading on diver.net's bbs something to the affect that tey are trying to put no diving, fishing, etc. in certain areas around the Channel Islands and around some shore areas. I don't believe it is all inclusive.

I heard something to the affect they are holding meetings up and down the coast to discuss these issues.

I understand your emotion over this subject, but don't you think this is a bit of an over-reaction until you find out exactly what this legislation is about & how it will affect divers, fishers, etc. ???

~SubMariner~

Maybe I am getting a little mad but here are the facts as I have them now;

1) I had a business meeting with California Life Guards and a few other officials from different locations in California. This topic came up. It's real!

2) I've seen the map covering San Diego, Catalina and the Pacific Coast up to about San Pedro. It had a lot of places already marked. They are waiting to see how much more or if they will get resistance to see exactly where the lines will be dawn.

3) It was plain to see in the meeting many had different views with some even shocked to find out the whole scope!

4) The new law would give the Life Guards enforcement authority which they didn't have before (don't know if that bothers me, most are great guys).

5) One Sheriff stood up in the last meeting and voiced his disapproval to the point he said if they call on his team to respond, they won't.

The bad thing about this entire boondoggle is no one I talk to knows squat about it! I do know from past experience, once something from the State gets put in place, we won't get it out!

SubMariner,

I understand your emotion over this subject, but don't you think this is a bit of an over-reaction until you find out exactly what this legislation is about & how it will affect divers, fishers, etc. ???

There is no "over-reaction" about it, and this is nothing NEW ... What is NEW is how far this attempt has progressed along so far. Apparently the "Tree Huggers" figured they wouldn't win there so guess where they are now? *knock knock* (at your back door) ...

If anything DeepSea stated it perfectly.

Some of you may remember some time ago a few heated posts along the topic of "banning spear fishing, etc" ... and I made the statement, "Ok, they ban drift wood and shell collecting today from the shoreline, tomorrow they call it a RESERVE, and the day after that ... well, History is always 20/20 and where does it stop?" ...

Well, "what this legislation is about & how it will affect divers" is OLD NEWS ... This "legislation" has been on the table MANY MANY times before, but before, it was always ignored/discarded ... How many times do you think they have to go back to the drawing board before they get it right or get it close enough to be "considered right".

Notice if you all will the Timing of this Bill, and then turn on the TV and watch the news ... No, No, not the latest political sex scandal, The other hot topic!

Did any of you watch the "Today Show" this week? (this morning it was the sex scandals, hehe) The first half of the week do you have any idea how many times they (the interviewer) tried to make the interviewed look stupid as hell?

And no Im not even kidding a little bit. More than once the questions were stated like, "Unlike any other normal person what made you think it was safe to go into the water? Do you really think it was that wise? I mean really, these are real sharks here."

And after you've been bittin in the @$$ by a shark and you're on National Television being grilled with loaded questions like that how do you think you would answer? So what better time for those with the mentioned agenda to poke their little seaweed smokin head up and push their politics?

What this is all about is very clear and has been public knowledge for years. It's nothing new, but if everyone keeps giving an inch, pretty soon when you look back, it will have been miles!

=-)

Where is the contact info... and details..

Give us an email address or phone number or mailing address.

I'll voice my opinion... that's for sure...

Who are your Assemblymen? Your State Senators? Fax 'em, e-mail 'em, call 'em...get the word to them that you want to hear from them.

Where are their local offices? Go down and see them! Politicians want votes and listen to voters. Really, it still works!

Is this a bill? Then it has a number. Find out what it is and where it is in the process. When I read your info I could not decide whether this was a local ordinance, an ordinance being put together by a coalition of local governments, or a state law.

To fight something like this you need to get your arms around it. You need to know what level you are up against. Maybe you do, but it is not clear from what you have written. Dig, gents(and ladies), dig.

Joewr--your bro from the North who would like to help.........

I don't know what can be done but whatever it takes to keep diving alive and well off our coasts will require everyones cooperation and support.

Back
Top Bottom