Emily

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone have any news about how Jamaica and the Caymans were affected? I guess direct communications would be challenging with satellite receivers either damaged or hidden away as they were on Coz. Been reading news stories (however much one can believe those) from the Cancun area. It seems the vast majority were evacuated inland, with many who did not leave being moved to shelters. Saw one story mentioning how 2,000 tourists from several hotels were moved to one gym, "and the army simply barred the doors."

From the Dive Paradise website: "Hurricane Emily Update - Monday, July 18 11:30PM CST - Cozumel faired OK in the wake of the recent storm. Lots of trees down but no real structural damage. There have been no reported major injuries or fatalities. People are out and about in their cars and the phones are working. No damage to boats so far and all DP boats are fine. Residents are already picking up the debris on the streets. Power's still out but that's to be expected since they need to go around and look for downed wires before they turn it back on. Sporatic rain. Overall it's much better than expected. Stay tuned."

DandyDon:
Anyone have any news about how Jamaica and the Caymans were affected? I guess direct communications would be challenging with satellite receivers either damaged or hidden away as they were on Coz. Been reading news stories (however much one can believe those) from the Cancun area. It seems the vast majority were evacuated inland, with many who did not leave being moved to shelters. Saw one story mentioning how 2,000 tourists from several hotels were moved to one gym, "and the army simply barred the doors."
Caymans, not sure on Jamaica.

simbrooks:
Caymans, not sure on Jamaica.
Sounds like a light touch - little damage, great to hear. Could have been much worse.

From what I've read of the Cancun evacuations, I would have hated to have been one of the last ones to escape - or wose, one of the ones in the shelters. :11:

Now that Emily is not a threat to Caribbean, Cozumel. and Cancun area scuba divers, my thoughts are with those living where she is hitting now...

I believe they recycle them every 6 years. The only time they retire a name is if it is a major, and I mean major hurricaine that had alot of deaths associated with it. If you want to check out the names lists and historical hurricaines, check out www.noaa.gov
Great site for Hurricaine info. :D

Back
Top Bottom