Emily

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MoonWrasse:
Looks like she's headed straight for Cancun/Cozumel.
By the predicted track/models, but reality has yet to follow the models on this one, read this:
NOAA:
EMILY CONTINUES ON A STUBBORN WESTWARD TRACK...270/17. THE
WEST-NORTHWESTWARD MOTION FORECAST ALMOST UNANIMOUSLY BY THE TRACK
MODELS HAS NOT DEVELOPED YET. CLEARLY THERE HAS BEEN MORE RIDGING
NORTH OF THE CYCLONE THAN EXPECTED. THE MODEL GUIDANCE ENVELOPE IS
BOUNDED BY THE GFDL AND UKMET ON THE NORTH...AND NOGAPS ON THE
SOUTH. THE OFFICIAL FORECAST IS ADJUSTED A LITTLE TO THE LEFT OF
THE PREVIOUS ADVISORY AND IS ON THE NOGAPS SIDE OF THE DYNAMICAL
MODEL CONSENSUS.
There is more in the advisory/discussion, but this seems to be saying that its not doing what they thought.

Doesnt mean it wont turn NNW, but at this time it isnt doing it, which leaves it wide open as to which way it is going to go.

cornfed:
[hijack]The second largest known oil reserves in the world are in Russia. Russia does not belong to OPEC. These facts conbined would suggest Russia is a good place to get oil from since they aren't involved in price fixing. [/hijack]

reserve numbers are pretty meaningless though. you need to know what the pumping capacity of those fields are, and what it costs to get it out. most of russia's reserves are very expensive oil to pump...

meanwhile, Emily's predicted track looks pretty close to Ivan's track, so far... if it curves north through that gap between the yucutan and cuba and picks up steam it could be deja vu...

I am on the Island for short three day trip end of the month. (JUly 28-Aug 1) Don't want any hurricane stirring up the water before my bath time... :wink:

Tim Nassis
Toronto, Canada

Christi:
She's still WAAAAAYYYYYY out there. Hopefully she'll just fizzle out and NO ONE will have to endure Emily.

Kleppta:
I am on the Island for short three day trip end of the month. (JUly 28-Aug 1) Don't want any hurricane stirring up the water before my bath time... :wink:

Tim Nassis
Toronto, Canada

Whatever happens, it will be long over by then. A fortunate side effect of the current that makes nearly every dive around Cozumel a drift dive is that any effects of the stirring up of the bathwater clear out in a day or two.

I know - this thread came first - but that doesn't matter - just a sick feeling down within that wonderful locations are about the be destroyed. However, the hurricane came first and man's baubles simply get in the way.

I will be down there the end of the month, too. It's good to hear that the current keeps everything tidy, but I hope that the island and everyone on it weather the storm equally well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom