Empire Mica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Murchison

Trusty Shellback
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
We're running a boat to the Empire Mica 22 June (Friday) from Hydrospace out of Panama City, FL.
BC me if you're interested.
Rick

How was the Mica, Rick? I heard that the vis was real bad in the aera last weekend, hopefully you all had better conditions this weekend. I think I'm going to able to get down there the 14th for a few dives on the Mica, if everything falls into place. Did you dive the Akokee? I really liked it back in Feburary.

Mica was too big... have to go back... couldn't cover anywhere near all of it in just two dives. Vis wasn't the best but was well over 50' - good for the Gulf. Spent most of my time aft of the main structure, trying to piece together the engineering spaces, main shaft, rudder housing and post etc. Boilers are pretty much intact - I'm told the engines themselves are burried under rubble and sand. The entire stern has been dynamited during salvage of the prop. The big barracuda were stacked up like cordwood and very curious - great!
Anyway, two very nice dives and I have to go back.
Yes, we dove Akokeet Saturday afternoon - first time I've been on that one - very nice - highly recommended.
All in all a very nice long weekend of blowing bubbles. Only one bailout (seasickness) otherwise no major student problems - nine new open water divers, seven nitrox and six advanced quals completed. Octopuses, one big nurse shark, rays, the usual assortment of northern Gulf fish with a few tropicals... on one dive on the Strength I have to log low visibility because of so many fish! (I hate it when that happens ;-) ) Returning from the Bart a big Remora was so intent on finding a place to attach himself to me I just reached out and grabbed him; brought him back aboard for all to see before releasing him again.
Thermocline was at 45'; 83 above, 71-72 below.
Excellent weather (Big T-Bumpers Friday night, but conveniently after we were headed in)
A great weekend...
Rick

Great! Thanks for the report. I look foward to diving the Mica for the first time. Yeah, I really liked the Akokee as well.

wow Rick, wish I had seen this before and I would have tried to go. I love diving the Mica. Last year we did 3 dives there and you are right....no way to see it all. We cut a nurse shark free that was tangled in fishing line there. Wonder if it was the same one you saw? The greatest thing was on our return we saw 3 manta rays. The captain kept circling around them til we got ready and jumped in with them. It was awesome!!! They were huge 14' to 16' wing span. Thanks for the memories.
Ldreamin

Ldreamin,
The nurse shark we saw was on the Strength, so probably not the same one (never can tell, though, can we?)
Missed your Mantas too... mebbe next time.
Rick

Back
Top Bottom