Empress of Ireland accident 8-5-02

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This has not been a good couple of weeks for diving. I know a French guy and I will post a translation if he is in the office today.

Here's an attempt at a translation.

The wreck of the "Empress of Ireland" claimed another victim yesterday afternoon <something> Sainte-Luce. The diver was 33 year old Serge Cournoyer of Saint-Anne-de-Sorrel. The tragedy occurred about 2pm. For unknown reasons the veteran diver failed to return to the surface with his companion. He [the companion] resubmerged to search, but could not find him. Ultimately, divers from Rimouski <something about them, possible "who were found nearby"> found the body of Mr. Cournoyer at about 6pm inside the wreck. An autopsy is being performed in Montreal.

Dive excursions on this wreck have resulted in 4 deaths in the last 7 years. In March 1997, after the death of 2 divers, coroner Jean-Francois Dorval made a series of recommendations, not all of which have been followed.

Not a lot of details in the radio-canada article, but other than one part of one sentence, I think I got all of what was there.

*sigh* What a wonderfull article to try to revive my language skills on. If anyone has links to a longer article, I'll see if I can translate a more complete story.

Jamie

These are through translation software, so they're a little rough. Qubecois French is different from Parisian French. I also changed "plongers" to "divers" where applicable - the software didn't like that word.

The wreck of Empress of Ireland makes another victim

Update Tuesday August 6, 2002, 10. 48.

The wreck of Empress of Ireland made another victim, yesterday afternoon, with broad of Sainte-Luce. It is about a 33 years old diver of Holy-Anne-of-Sorel, Serge Cournoyer. The tragedy occurred towards 14h.

For unknown reasons, the diver veteran did not go up on the surface with his companion. This last is turned over to its research but it could not find it. In fact finally divers of Rimouski were also on the spot which located the body of Mr Cournoyer, around 18 hours, inside the wreck of Empress of Ireland. An autopsy must be practised in Montreal.

The excursions of diving on this wreck made 4 victims in less than 7 years. In March 1997, following the death of 2 plungers, the coroner Jean-François Dorval had made a series of recommendations which all were not followed.

Sainte-Luce-sur-Mer Monday August 5, 2002

Empress claims one 4th victim

Ernie Wells
special collaboration
Rimouski

Special Collaboration Yvan Couillard

The body of the diver will be subjected to an autopsy today, in Montreal.

RIMOUSKI -- the bad fate seems to be baited on the divers of the wreck of Empress of Ireland which, in less than six years, made a fourth victim, yesterday afternoon, with broad of Sainte-Luce-sur-Mer.

It is about Serge Cournoyer, a 33 year old diver, of Holy-Anne-of-Sorel. For reasons which remain still unknown, the 10 year old diver of experience did not go up on the surface with his/her companion. Its body was found in the wreck.

The sergeant Claude Mercier, of the post office of the SQ with Rimouski, reports the tragic events which would have proceeded towards 14 H with a few kilometers of the Sainte-Luce beaches.

"the victim belonged to a group of two divers of Holy-Anne-of-Sorel. Another group of seven divers of the area of Rimouski also took part in activities of diving on Empress. It would seem that the two divers were lost sight of the fact. When one of both went up on the surface, it did not see his companion. It is then gone down again towards the ship and it did not see it either. In fact finally divers of the other group of Rimouski found the victim inside the wreck ", according to the Mercier sergeant.

The body of unhappy was found around 18 h. an autopsy must be practised today in Montreal in order to determine the causes of the death. The coroner Jean-François Dorval is charged to make the light on this drama which comes to once more upset the followers of diving on Empress.

In June 2001, following a descent on the wreck, an accident of decompression cost the life the diver Pierre Lepage, which counted at least a hundred divings on the steamer. Five years before, in September 1996, Dye stick Relative, 41 years, of Laval, died by drowning whereas his/her companion, Xavier Roblain, 25 years of Sainte-Foy, died of the continuations of the bursting of his lungs.

Let us recall that Empress of Ireland, which ran in less than 15 minutes in May 1914, made more than 1000 died.

Marc

Serge Cournoyer, who died yesterday, had about 10 years of diving experience. He was diving on the wreck with a buddy, while the Rimouski divers were a group of seven, also diving the wreck at the same time.

Cournoyer and his buddy lost sight of each other underwater; when the buddy surfaced, and Mr. Cournoyer didn't, the buddy redescended to look for him, but couldn't find him. The body was ultimately found within the wreck by the group of Rimouski divers. -- Transmangled statement from Sgt. Claude Mercier, of the Quebec police in Rimouski.

The article also mentions three previous deaths or
injuries.:
Pierre Lepage, who died of a decompression accident in June 2001, and who had over 100 dives experience.

Lise Parent, whom I don't have the vocabulary to translate what they said happened to her.

Xavier Roblain, who was Ms. Parent's companion, who died. Both of these incidents in 1996.

The Empress of Ireland is in 90 to 130 feet of water, with frequent heavy current, often very poor visibility, and very cold water (Gulf of St. Lawrence) -- From the english articles.

Jamie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom