Empress of Ireland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uberlingcod

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking forward to diving her this summer. Looked at some good movies on the net and have read the book Dark Desent good book, but I am looking for some first hand accounts from people who have dove on her. Vis water temp cold but I am used to diving in 5 to 10`C water. What about the condition of the wreck and the life on it. http://www.northernatlanticdive.com/shipwrecks/shipwreck_junction.htm If you go to this page there is a !7 min movie all diving no talk. Can"t wait to go.

i've just finished reading the book and would love to dive her. especially after watching the video footage.....simply awesome. it's a long hike for me to get there unfortunately

Made the trip there last year and was lucky enough to be blessed with two excellent weather days which allowed a dive on the Empress and Nipigon. That was late July and the water temp on the bottom was about 38F if I remember. Max depth I got was 135' but you could easily stay shallower and see most of of her. I hooked up with Danny whom I found to be very friendly and professional. The vis at that time was about 15' on the wreck.

Considering the amount of time the wreck has been sitting there, it is still in pretty good condition. be forewarned though, this is a dive where adequate planning and good diving skills are assets. You're dealing with a huge wreck with the potential for disorientation, especially with low vis. Add to this the cold and water currents and you have yourself plenty to deal with.

Andre

This is an understatement. I'd say paramount!
gathan:
this is a dive where adequate planning and good diving skills are assets.

Andre

Cod - I see you dive BC so compared to that:

currents are usually worse and unpredictable; sea life is not near as good as BC; its colder; not dark but BLACK; vis is generally worse; can be a battle just to get out to the site and back; potential for disorientation is huge; narcosis is a big factor - this is the shallowest I've ever experienced its effects (probably brought on sooner with all the other factors); the wreck itself is amazing; local culture is interesting
- its quite a challenge. I'll be going back someday - lots more to see (only did 5 dives).

Cold dark and deep what more could you ask for? Lots of forthought and planning a must. What kind of gloves were you two using? I think I will go with three finger mits. Where on the the wreck did you guys dive most of the time? The coldest I have been in is 43F and that was cold 38F must be really cold. Thanks for the feed back I can't wait to go.

So who will you be chartering with on the trek? She is on my list of sites to dive,,,,but will to wait till after I complete my Adv. Wreck course later this year....maybe I can swing it next year.

Procom diving out of Alberta of all places we will be staying at the marina in big army tents two divers to a tent.

Uberlingcod:
Procom diving out of Alberta of all places we will be staying at the marina in big army tents two divers to a tent.

I wish you well,,,not an dive for the unprepared, will look forward to your trip report!!

Uberlingcod:
Cold dark and deep what more could you ask for? Lots of forthought and planning a must. What kind of gloves were you two using? I think I will go with three finger mits. Where on the the wreck did you guys dive most of the time? The coldest I have been in is 43F and that was cold 38F must be really cold. Thanks for the feed back I can't wait to go.

We spent almost an hour on the wreck which meant dry gloves were a must. We first swam aft near the bottom, on the keel side and visited the wine cellar area for a bit. After coming out of the wreck, we made our way to to the upper most side, where the port side and upper deck meet and then swam forward all the way to the bow area. Quite a few pieces of hardware to look at there such as capstan etc. After that we made our back to midship to start our ascent and complete deco.

It is, in fact, easy to get disoriented on this wreck, and depending on your equipment configuration, you may not want to stray too far from the moored line. Just so you know, Dany St-Cyr at the time was offering guided tours to the wreck.

Texdive guy had it right. You need to prepare. I had temps in the 35 - 38 range top to bottom. The vis is not very good. There are unpredictable currents, from calm to raging in the course of the dive, and it is dark.

For me dry gloves and good undergarmets were a must. Navigation on the wreck is not too hard once you understand it. It is dark enough in the debris field that you can lose the wreck if you don't go out with a line. Not much marine life.

Having said all of that, it is a great dive and one that I want to do many more times. The Empress is huge and there is a lot left. Many great places to explore on the Empress.

Jerry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom