End Cutter, clip plucker

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pescador775

Contributor
Reaction score
Clips are cool looking but can be a little tricky to deal with. Below are pics of an old fashioned end cutter which has been modified. The sides have been reduced and the face has been flattened with a grinder. This nipper is 7.5 inches length and will remove a box clip in one stroke. It may leave obscure dings on the side of the clip but the reg itself is not scratched or dinged in any way. When replacing clip, make sure the back is straight before compressing it with adequate force like with a channel lock.

Attachments

• 103_0374.JPG
    103_0374.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 60
  • 103_0375.JPG
    103_0375.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 61
Yeppers, but I did not use my grandfathers antique end cutter, I bought a new one and ground it down in a similar fashion. I grip the clip tightly and then roll it off, no screw drivers or pry bars or farm implements required.

N

I hope Duckbill will show pics of his end cutter which is a bit more refined than in the pic above. In fact, I have a cutter much like his which I made 35 years ago but a chunk broke off of one side and it is going into the trash. Now, I shorten the grinding intervals and dip the tool in water.

The pliers I modifies has the jaw ground down to a width that allows it to slide under the clip which doesn't mar the clip or the regulator.

Attachments

• DSC01203.jpg
    DSC01203.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC01207.jpg
    DSC01207.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 69
Pretty cool Captain. That looks like it started it's life as a needle nose. Correct? I might have to make on of those. Thanks!

Jim

I think that tool is beyond my skills. A few minutes ago, I attempted to insert a razor blade under a box clip on a new Royal Aqua Master. It could not be done and could not even be started under the clip. That makes sense as there is no space under a box clip.

Pretty cool Captain. That looks like it started it's life as a needle nose. Correct? I might have to make on of those. Thanks!

Jim

You got it.

I'd post pictures, but it looks alot like Captain's. In fact, I think I remember now that I made mine from his design in the first place (Thanks, Captain). Mine was made from a small set of end cutters, with the flared sides filed to 3/16 inches wide and parallel, rounded and chamfered, like Captain's. End cutters seem to be harder to find at local tool and hardware stores nowadays for some reason.

If a clip is tight against the box, I still use a padded, sharpened screwdriver to pry one end of the clip away to get the pliers started. Then a twist of the wrist does the rest. Pretty slick.

I'm glad Pescador posted this because there is a whole new batch of vintage divers who don't seem to realize thay can keep their clipped regulators in their original state. I keep my regulators flushed clean, and they rarely go out of tune, so I don't need to open the cans very often at all. When I do, it isn't all that hard to deal with clips using proper tools and techniques.

I made a Captain style clip removing tool today. Wow, that works slick! It doesn't get any easier. Thanks Captain

Jim

Back
Top Bottom