End of 2018 and plans for 2019?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What a wonderful thread, thank you!!

It is easy to focus so hard, on the kind of diving we like, or dream of, (we=me) that we are oblivious to other stimuli.

Possibly just the ramblings of a madman.....

DW

Been a busy year. Finally got my first tech certification in Jan, been building up my confidence and skills in deco diving for the last few months. Trying to build up CCR hours between OC students, and OC tech dives, finally got my Sport CCR Instructor cert and finished my first CCR student on Mod1.

Got my first drysuit, got pretty comfortable diving it OC and then discovered in the last few dives that counterlungs + wing + drysuit is a LOT of bubbles for me to manage, getting there but the workload is high still.

This coming year? hoping to spend most of the year on CCR. Doing my normoxic when I can get the instructor and my schedules to line up, somewhere in there I want to work on my tech instructor certification. I meet the paper requirements vis a vis dive numbers etc etc but I don't quite feel that my potential tech students would be getting a good deal, training with me.

So, by this time next year, I hope to be teaching CCR / OC Trimix to 50m and diving to 70m myself. That will be the last certs I will be pursuing for myself in terms of depth etc. After this it will purely be IT type learning and development.

2018 was fewest dives in years- 48 (49 if I go tomorrow or Mon.). No snowbirding to the N. Gulf of Mex. coast. Just the usual stuff around Halifax, NS and my 7 weeks in the NYC area in summer diving the exotic Connecticut Coast....
More of the same for 2019, as my wife needs another hip replacement. Maybe we'll get back to snowbirding in 2020.

Dec.30- I got dive no.49 in. Air 30F, water 40F. Mask broke (used spare). Trunk wouldn't open (had to move gear to don it--getting colder all the time). Lots of surge and 2 ft. viz. Stuff started to freeze rinsing it and had to finish it inside. Getting too old for this sh!t….drysuit would be real nice, but we usually snowbird...

2018 my quest to get back to diving as I regularly did years ago was going well.
It also led me to accept that my diving circumstances has changed since I now no longer have a regular dive buddy. This has resulted in changing of some equipment and adding gear. It has been interesting and exhilarating. My love for diving is still strong.

For 2019 I'll be continuing the same. Hopefully diving at least a couple weekends a month.
I also want to travel and do some diving. Cayman Brac has been on my mind for some reason. Hopefully I can give myself that trip for my birthday in May.

Wishing you all a year filled with diving.

2018: Did 172 dives in Channel Islands, So Cal; Puget Sound and Hood Canal, WA; Belize Aggressor; Roatan; Kona, HI; and Cozumel.

2019: Philippines for two weeks in April, Southern Channel Islands 5 day liveaboard, Bonaire in August, Porpoise Bay, Canada in October; Cozumel in December and lots of diving in the Puget Sound and Hood Canal in between dive trips.

2018 was a typical year for me with 73 dives and a little over 81 hours underwater including two trips to Cozumel and a lot of Vancouver Island diving.

2019 will get off to a very slow start as my Vancouver Island dive buddy has injured his back. No diving for him until at least May.

Another year of safe diving, I am looking forward to getting in the water again.

2018 : my first full year as Instructor, certified more than 30 students ( up to Divemasters ), joined my first liveboard in the Red Sea
2019 : planning on becoming IDC staff instructor and possibly going back to Red Sea

Funny old year, with no vacations. Looking at my ogs I still managed 105 fun dives and 82 teaching dives (not pool)

2019 brings another trip to Misool :D, I really should get my backside in gear and finish my Tech Instructor course, and maybe my IDC Staff- we'll see

The only definite resolution is to go dive with @RainPilot - There's no excuse we live close by. And to take out a one of his CCR's and see if I can break it (or me) - Best not take my wallet that day as I know otherwise I'll end up making another impulse purchase :wink:

Only 67 dives in 2018 with only two warm water trips, the Bahamas and Cuba. 2019 I will be diving Vancouver Island in February and Newfoundland in June so will visit both coasts. Will also be visiting Belize and probably Cuba again in addition to Great Lakes Diving. Did not get my inflatable out even once this year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom