End of Free Nitrox in Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Huh. I guess they should have just made it $200 for six days of unlimited diving with FREE NITROX! Then everybody would still think that they were getting a deal... :)

Don't like that idea. Though I've got the nitrox cert I never use it. I don't want to be paying for your nitrox. You can pay for it yourself if you want it.

Don't like that idea. Though I've got the nitrox cert I never use it. I don't want to be paying for your nitrox. You can pay for it yourself if you want it.
It was $180 before, for both Nitrox and air?

And you think you were paying for air prices?

Read his comment again, I think you didn’t get the sarcasm.

About never using Nitrox, I get people all the time that say “I’ll just dive air”, when asked if they want Nitrox or air, they say, “I’m fine with air”, we respond: ok, you will be limited to 20 minutes on air, or you can go with Nitrox and do 45min, there’s a dumb look on their faces!
That’s a short version of a typical exchange, but it always amazes me the lack of understanding

Thanks for getting my point...!

And as far as having a nitrox cert, going to someplace like Bonaire where you can do a lot of diving, but making a point of only diving air? Hey, dive like you want, I just have a hard time understanding that logic.

And as far as having a nitrox cert, going to someplace like Bonaire where you can do a lot of diving, but making a point of only diving air? Hey, dive like you want, I just have a hard time understanding that logic.
Kharon is a little different. To the point of telling divers who are on SB between dives on bonaire that conditions aren't what they say they are. When they were literally in the water 30 minutes prior. I kind of view him as somewhere between Contrarian by nature or full on comic relief. Either way, he probably shouldn't ever be viewed as a source of good advice.

Nitrox for me as I love racking up lots of dives, but scuba heresy though it be, I imagine some divers do 2 or 3 dives per day there and don’t benefit from nitrox much.

Granted, to me that seems like paying for all you can eat buffet and just having a light snack...but different strokes for different folks.

Now if it’s free, I’d dive nitrox anyway.

Richard.

Now if it’s free, I’d dive nitrox anyway.

Would you pay $3 a day?

Unless you are staying very shallow or have a very high SAC rate, it's either more bottom time or more safety. Seems to be worth it to me, but that's just my opinion.

@Wookie had an interesting experience with this - switching to "free nitrox" on the Spree made a big difference in safety, IIRC. Maybe he'll show up and tell the story...

I never paid $180. I always paid $150-$160.

Nope - didn't see the sarcasm. Went over my head.

About never using Nitrox, I get people all the time that say “I’ll just dive air”, when asked if they want Nitrox or air, they say, “I’m fine with air”, we respond: ok, you will be limited to 20 minutes on air, or you can go with Nitrox and do 45min, there’s a dumb look on their faces!
That’s a short version of a typical exchange, but it always amazes me the lack of understanding

I understand Nitrox quite well. I dive 3-4, sometimes 5 times a day on Bonaire. My dives are typically 1 hour to 1 hour 20 minutes. I see no point of going deep to blow through a tank when I can see everything I want at 30-40 feet. I've been to 130' and saw the garden eels. Don't need to do that again. So Nitrox holds no real benifit for me and it's a procedure that I don't want to be bothered with.

Kharon is a little different. To the point of telling divers who are on SB between dives on bonaire that conditions aren't what they say they are. When they were literally in the water 30 minutes prior. I kind of view him as somewhere between Contrarian by nature or full on comic relief. Either way, he probably shouldn't ever be viewed as a source of good advice.

==> Ignore

I own my tanks on Bonaire so diving is REALLY cheap for me already, So I don't know how much my fill cards will go up.. But I will say the cost of electric on Bonaire has really jumped, I think the number was 50%... Still, Bonaire is Bonaire and I'll keep going..

Jim...

I own my tanks on Bonaire so diving is REALLY cheap for me already, So I don't know how much my fill cards will go up.. But I will say the cost of electric on Bonaire has really jumped, I think the number was 50%... Still, Bonaire is Bonaire and I'll keep going..

Jim...

Yeah, but the point of this thread seems to be that we should never have to pay more for something than we did the last time we bought it.

Actually I think the point was the change in policy by the dive shops of charging the same for nitrox or air. I guess some folks thought they were getting a "deal." Seems we're kinda losing the "forest" for the "trees" in that regard as nothing was ever free. Times change...prices change... Bonaire is still unique and "dive freedom" is still a wonderful thing. As to why some folks like nitrox and others see it as superfluous for their type of diving, well...the beat goes on. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom