End of my video shooting career?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yarik83

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
For the past 3 years I had a pleasure of video taping most of my dives with my bonica hd camera. I even upgraded to their latest version, got better batteries etc etc.. but camera case decided to crack on me. I used.. what else.. the jb weld and was happy with the result except that on the next day camera started to spider web on me.. so I used more jb weld. In the end half of the front face is covered with jb weld and while I do not see any more cracks appear I am really not looking forward to finding out that my camera case is ruined the hard way. My video camera has a silicone skin and that is what saved it last time it cracked under water. But at the time crack was tiny. Now cracks are all over and even though there are covered with jb weld I dont know if its a good idea to take my camera on my next dive. I might take just the case to see if it leaks or not. I kept it in a 5 gallon bucket for a couple of days and it seemed to hold up alright but pressure in a 5 gallon bucket is nowhere near what it is at 80 feet.

Considering that initially I spent a good sum of money on the camera I am really no longer in a financial position to just go out and buy myself a replacement camera. At best I could probably start saving, which I already have done and save enough by mid january at which point dive season (at least for me) stops here in florida.. although I might go to caribbean around december.

So do I stop filming altogether? Do I risk losing my camera in case jb weld does not hold up or should I save and get back to filming next diving season?

I have 2 videos documenting my sad case right here:
YouTube - For_Bonica.MOV
YouTube - For_Bonica2.MOV

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom