Energy Drinks and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RRedd

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey All,

I have been on several boats where I see individuals consuming Monster Drinks, Red Bulls, and other various energy drinks. Typically, I tend to abstain from any unnatural substances before diving and maintain my hydration with the intake of water.

Outside of dehydration, are there other physiological symptoms that one can have from drinking energy drinks during or after diving?

Just wondering....

Thanks,

RR

I keep the emphasis on water when diving but I don't see anything wrong with a Monster every now and then. I'm actually having one right now; sometimes they just hit the spot.

I drink less coffee before diving than on a normal morning. I make sure my wife has her normal intake. No need to have a grumpy buddy. Following the thread to learn more.

For full disclosure, I drink Monsters on occasion too. I just look at the ingredients and wonder, if when under pressure they could have negative affects on the body...

Caffeine - it acts as a diuretic so drives more water out of you, further aiding in dehydration. That aside, I have to pee so badly as it is during and after dives, the last thing I need is caffeine to make me want to pee even more!

There is a big difference between amount of caffeine in those drinks and something like coffee or tea, but I cannot comment on how much more. I can, however, comment on coffee, caffeine, and dehydration in general. Some of what I say will be surprising for many people.
  • Caffeine is a diuretic, and many people avoid drinking coffee or tea while diving because of a fear of dehydration. However, that diuretic effect is not as great as some people think, and the amount of water in a typical cup of American-style coffee more than offsets the effect of the diuretic. Thus, the overall effect of drinking most coffee is hydration, not dehydration. Tea has less caffeine than coffee.
  • Dehydration is often linked to an increased risk of DCS, and many people stress that to a huge degree. You will see people chugging tons of water while diving for that reason. There is not, however, any clear research indicating that this is true. A number of experts believe that the danger is overstated.

Last edited:
"and the amount of water in a typical cup of American-style coffee more than offsets the effect of the diuretic."
Yes, that was formally debunked a good ten years ago.

Don't ask why or if they need that stuff. Just get the vending machine franchise rights on the dive boat.

Too much caffeine can give me palpitations or can cause anxiety/stress leading to hyperactivity and increased air consumption. I try to have enough caffeine to wake me up or keep me going when I'm on a dive trip. But I don't typically drink energy drinks, I'm just way too sensitive to caffeine (and sugar).

One of the problems I have with this stuff is that you never really know exactly what drugs you're putting into your body. There is more to an energy drink than caffeine, and the composition can potentially vary from batch to batch. Then of course, there is even wider variation from one product to the next.

Besides, I think they're gross, but that's just because I'm in the wrong generation.

Oh yes, that's the other reason I cut my coffee intake in half before diving. I think it helps with the air consumption, particularly at the beginning of the first dive. I have also learned that too much protien beforehand will give me a bit of an acid stomach about 45 minutes into the dive so a small easy to digest breakfast as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom