Engineering to Marine Biology?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

USFbravis

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello everyone, my name is Brett. I am 20 years old and I currently attend the Univ. of South FL in Tampa. I grew up on Pensacola Beach which puts me walking distance to the gulf and Santa Rosa sound. I've always loved everything that had to do with the water (mainly fishing and boating) and I actually have a summer job working at a resort doing beach service/deck handing/jet ski and hobie cat rentals. I just recently got OW scuba certified here in Tampa and this is my new obsession! With that said, I am in a bit of a rut. Right now my major is Electrical Engineering. I picked this major before college because one of my biggest hobbies was working with computers and other electronics. The only problem I had was that math has always been the toughest subject for me, going back to elementary school. I've never been interested in math what so ever! Now that I am in college, I have been struggling in math which has delayed my education. I am now in Engineering Calculus I and it is like a different language to me. I have no motivation what so ever to even think about calculus. So basically, I have been really unhappy with my post-high school education so far. I haven’t really enjoyed any classes and I feel like I should just give up and stop wasting my parent’s money. So it is obvious that engineering isn’t for me. My advisor told me this multiple times and I’ve heard it from countless engineering majors who are very successful. But I have accepted this! I’ve known for a while that I no longer want to be an engineer. I’ve just been afraid to tell my parents because they really want me to be an engineer. Anyway, to make a long story short I have narrowed my options down to two paths. One being “the backup” plan for weeded out engineering students like myself, and go with a business degree. The other being a completely off the wall idea and go for a marine biology degree. This second option was never really thought of until I got scuba certified. After getting certified I realized how many doors could have been opened if I were a marine biology major. And so I was intrigued. I’ve started to do some research on anything and everything that has to do with marine biology (courses, internships, research, jobs, careers, etc). I understand that I will not make as much money as say if I was an engineer, but I don’t care. I want to enjoy my career and money isn’t much of a concern at this point. All I want to do is find something that I LOVE to study and that makes me motivated to open up a book so one day I can start a career that I will never get tired of. And this may be it. But at the same time, I am scared to get into something that just isn’t right for me, like I did with engineering.
With all of this being said, I pretty much know what I am going to do. I am going to go talk to an advisor about marine biology and do as much research as I can. And then figure out what I want to do. I guess what I’m asking for here is any advice on my situation, and/or if anyone has gone through a similar experience and how they resolved it. Thanks everyone for reading this long and probably boring post!

Brett

Interesting thoughts. Me?, I'm an Electrical Engineer and graduated from UF in 1978. Yes, the math is hard and you need to work hard at it even if you like math. I've made a nice career as an Engineer, starting in the semiconductor industry and then moving to aerospace (aviation) as a program manager and systems engineer along the way.

However, when I interviewed for my current position, I was asked what I would study if I went back to school. Guess what my answer was? Marine Biology. I have no interest in getting a Ph. D. If I ever go back to school, I'll take some marine biology courses. I have no interest in getting a degree, just knowledge.

So, what am I saying? Do what you think you will enjoy for the rest of your working life. I enjoy working in aviation, I love flying and everything that goes along with it. I also love diving and my interest is in the sea life that I find when I am diving. Your parents will be happy if you have a successful career. They may be somewhat disappointed if you move from engineering, but if you have a successful time in school, you will have a successful time finding a job you enjoy, and then they will be happy about your decision. Good luck.

If you can struggle thought the math (and I suggest that doing so is worth it) there's a whole world of Ocean Engineering out there that is, for many, far more exciting and interesting than Marine Biology.

Add me to the list of people who studied 4 years for a M(Eng) in Electrical & Electronic Engineering. Since I walked out of my last exam I've never looked at another sine wave, generator, Huffman tree or IC diagram.

Having discovered and fallen in love with the underwater world since then I sometimes wonder what would have happened if I had quit during the hard years (I also disliked pure mathematics) and taken a Marine Biology or Oceanography degree.

I can't answer your question but I know if I hadn't had stuck to it I wouldn't have got the job I have, and maybe would never have been able to afford to go for 5 dive trips a year and dive locally every weekend in the summer and autumn.

I don't regret my decision to stick with it, but if I knew what I know now then I am not sure what I would do. I think you would find it a lot easier to move from engineering into anything else than marine biology to another vocation though.

I think switching your major to marine biology will shut a some doors for your future, and open less.

If you are confident you would enjoy the course (what does it actually involve learning, and does this motivate you?) AND that the job market for marine biologists is one you are comfortable entering then the choice becomes easier.

If you have severe doubts about either of these maybe sticking out engineering for another two years (?) is a tough but feasible option. The hard work you put in now could pay off for the rest of your life - not all engineering graduates end up in engineering as the problem solving and numeracy skills you will learn are valued in many companies outside traditional engineering firms.

If you can struggle thought the math (and I suggest that doing so is worth it) there's a whole world of Ocean Engineering out there that is, for many, far more exciting and interesting than Marine Biology.
Thats what I did. I was initially a Marine Biology major. Switched majors and ended up with a degree in Ocean Engineering, worked in the Biological & Physical Oeanography for a bit and now I am in software development. It's a long road but having the engineering degree will give you alot of options. You can work in the ocean sciences, environmental engineering, water management, engineering, software, etc. I have friends that went straight from college into these fields with an Ocean Engineering degree. If you like the ocean that much then you will probably find Ocean Engineering more exciting than any other engineering dicipline.

... If you like the ocean that much then you will probably find Ocean Engineering more exciting than any other engineering dicipline.
And the Ocean Engineers that I know get to play with some of the best toys. Hell, they build some of the best toys.

And the Ocean Engineers that I know get to play with some of the best toys. Hell, they build some of the best toys.

That's right. I'm an Ocean Engineer from FAU. I work for the Navy here in Panama City. We build lots of GREAT toys. Some the Navy even uses. My wife just got her EE degree and she now works here also. She's currently working with autonomous underwater vehicles (AUV) and she loves it. The pay ain't bad either. So if you can tough your way through the math, the benefits are worth it.

Back
Top Bottom