Entry Level Solo Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Checked out the site you recommended Bob and registered. Then today, as if by fate, I learned of 4 more divers at my work place. Geezo already...a couple of them just got certified and then another Rescue and her husband is a DM. Looking better for buddy diving for now. But again, I will end up going SOLO again I'm sure. Also, regarding the issue on aborting a dive. I did that on my last trip. Had two more tanks full of air on the boat and on my last dive (which was really a combo of #2 & #3 on one tank due to low viz) I followed the anchor line to bottom and figuring the viz was too low to dive alone I surfaced. Again, some common sense on my part if I may say that without sounding arrogant, and some could argue none since I went alone to begin with :D . All this to say that the more I look the more I find. Also picked up my AOW materials today to get more time with an instructor in this early phase of my career. Just thought I'd share the progress and thank Walter, Steve and Bob specifically for their insight. Can I get the secret handshake now.....LOL

Last edited:
I started solo diving in 15-20 feet of water off of the pier at Scuba Club Cozumel with a single AL80 and no redundancy. I felt semi-comfortable doing so. I had approximately 50 dives at that time.

Eventually I moved to doubles and that's when I started solo diving in earnest.

You can start solo diving when you do not have to ask permission to do so! Take a hard look at your level, skills and comfortability in the water. just remember it is your life, if you are afraid then you are not ready.
I stared solo diving right after basic certification with a pst 120. I had many good gives for 70 minutes and more. I have continued to solo dive for the past year. I have since moved to doubles, 72's, 112's 0r 120's depending on the gas I need for the dive.
But really make sure you are comfortable and have good skills.

You can start solo diving when you do not have to ask permission to do so! Take a hard look at your level, skills and comfortability in the water. just remember it is your life, if you are afraid then you are not ready.
I stared solo diving right after basic certification with a pst 120. I had many good gives for 70 minutes and more. I have continued to solo dive for the past year. I have since moved to doubles, 72's, 112's 0r 120's depending on the gas I need for the dive.
But really make sure you are comfortable and have good skills.

Everybody can ultimately do whatever they want but to make a statement like this is just ludicrous. You state that you started solo diving immediately following OW certification yet you go on to say make sure you have good skills. Well, as a freshly minted OW diver, how do you know if you have skills that are "good enough" to solo dive? And, how well should you have masted each skill before solo diving? What constitutes "good skills" (this must be a measurable qualification)? Basic OW shows that you have at least met the minimum standard IMO (a non-instructor opinion so take it for what it is worth) but I do know that fresh from certification you have no idea if your skills are good enough. If anything, most people leave OW certification with an over-inflated view of their skills.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom