environment friendly catheter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

monkkx

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I bought my first drysuit, it has a p-valve. I love every bit of it, except the amont of plastic used in the packaging of the bardcare catheters. Is there any other alternative with less plastic waste?

Thanks in advance

I'm not familiar with Bardcare brand, but I think you're referring to the ones packaged in a plastic "clamshell"-type case, like these of the Coloplast Conveen Optima brand: Coloplast Conveen Optima - Silicone Male External Condom Catheter (Standard Wear). It is serious plastic waste, and it bothers me. These are the worst offenders, though. Most, such as Rochesters, seem to be packaged in a thin plastic bag, which is still bad but not quite as bad. I mean, they have to be individually packaged in something sanitary, and that means plastic of some sort.

For something that is a sterile medical device, they are packaged pretty minimally. Individual bags are needed for the sanitary requirements. It is a very minimal bag. The little plastic cone is needed in the middle otherwise they will get pinched shut during transport. I don't see anything wasteful involved.

Keep in mind we are a tiny market for them. Regular medical use is the normal business. And that is how the product is engineered, manufactured, distributed, etc.

Hi all,

I bought my first drysuit, it has a p-valve. I love every bit of it, except the amont of plastic used in the packaging of the bardcare catheters. Is there any other alternative with less plastic waste?

Thanks in advance

Hi monkkx,

Really? You are worried about a small amount of plastic that keeps your catheter system sterile?

Welcome to Scubaboard by the way.

You are trolling us right? For most of us, scuba diving is not environmentally friendly. Many of us travel on jet liners and boats--both are ecological disasters. And then all of the gear and compressed breathing gas (lots of energy to compress gases). And on and on the waste stream just keeps building.

Some of us even beat the crap out of the reefs.

Yeah, you must be trolling us, otherwise you would not scuba dive.
On that note, :cheers:
markmudgett

Maybe they can come up with a water soluble one for you.:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom