Environmentally friendly shampoo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, I'm pretty in love with most of their stuff. But the shampoo bars have proven soooo handy for diving & traveling and they seem to treat my hair quite nicely, too.

Speaking of which, do you know if they have the shampoo bar equivalent of conditioner? I haven't seen any, and was wondering if it even existed. I hope it does.

We live aboard our sail boat, and I have to say the Joy dishwashing liquid really does work, and it lathers in salt water. We lather up, jump in to rinse and then use a very little fresh water to wash away the salt. It works great and conserves a lot of water.

Joy is the liveaboard standard for sailboaters. Back when I was cruising it was the only dishsoap that lathered in salt water which is important because most liveaboard boaters wash their dishes with salt water and rinse with fresh to conserve the freshwater while at sea. We would jump in the ocean & lather up with Joy then rinse using fresh water in the Sunshower. When you are done it feels just like you took a complete shower with fresh water. The Sunshower only lets a little water out at a time and will conserve water better than using a standard shower on the boat. Sunshower also makes their own brand of biodegradeable soap that lathers in salt water. Joy works just as well, and its cheaper, in my opinion.

Wow, sorry. Long time has elapsed. If you haven't checked out their site, you should. They do have several conditioners, some solid. I only have recently tried a bottled on of theirs - Coolauin or some such thing, and while it leaves my hair soft and untangled I don't like the smell and I have to use a lot in one go. Tempted to try Jungle solid conditioner, though.

I don't imagine the kelp-based shampoos are any better than any others for the oceans. Interesting question. When I was showering yesterday morning, all I could think of was how the shampoo and soap I was using might be affecting the near-shore marine environment where our treated sewage ends up (I do live on an island).

Set scene: One day, a girl went scuba diving in Palau. During her safety stop at the end of the dive she looked up to the surface and saw a colourful pattern. She thought "Oh, how beautiful! A rainbow!“

But when she came up from the safety stop she realized it wasn’t a rainbow she saw, but the oily streaks of the sunscreen from snorkelers nearby.

She wondered if this had an impact on ocean life and did some research. And yes, sunscreen in fact does affect ocean life, killing corals and fish and damaging whole reefs.

Let’s talk about reef-safe skin and hair products

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom