EON Steel POD Losing Connection During Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Chekaluk

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello All

To begin, I'm aware of the recall and just dropped the POD off at my dive store on Aug 5th.

I had this issue when I first bought and used the EON and POD in June 2016. During some dives (not all) the computer wouldn't show any air reading for a few minutes or longer during the dive then would come back on at some point and show the current pressure, which essentially matched my backup hose mounted SPG. Dive shop sent computer and POD to service centre and it came back saying nothing was wrong but they did the battery replacement.

Went on a trip in winter and it seemed to work fine but can't recall if it went out at any time. I would assume no as I would have taken the computer and pod back into the shop.

Just got back from a trip where it started doing this again, disconnecting while diving. On my last dive, a cavern dive, it disconnected twice on a dive with the second disconnection for 23 minutes, from minute 40 to minute 63, at which time it connected again. I brought the POD and my laptop into the dive shop and showed them the dive profile in DM5 which clearly shows no air reading for those times.

Some Quick Details;
POD has been used for 50 dives with 13 dives on the first battery, 37 on this one.
POD is just over a year old as is the EON Steel.
EON was fully charged on this last dive where the POD disconnected for 23 minutes.
EON is on latest Firmware.
No issues connecting on surface pre-dive, even with other Suunto transmitters on the boat.

I'm new to wireless with this product and wondering if this is normal for all wireless products, or if this shouldn't be happening. Personally, I don't think it should disconnect at any time when pressurized.

My hope is this recall will fix this issue but my question is, has anyone else encountered this?

Are you using any other devices that may interfere with the transmitter? I have heard that some cameras that use bluetooth can cause interference with the air pod. I've also read that some computers can interfere with it as well.

I have had my Eon for a year and 3 months and have not had any problems so far and I've got 130 dives to date.

I find it interesting how some have had loads of problems with the air pods and others have not.

Thank you for the reply. It's promising to hear you've had no issues, I would like to keep diving this computer but obviously with a POD that works 100%! It works most of the time but this last dive in a cavern with it going off for 23 minutes and then coming back on was a pain and had me questioning the quality of this product.

I have the Sealife Micro HD camera with me on every dive but it uses Wifi for connection, which I have turned off and never use. I also have my old Vyper in Guage mode on the console with the hose SPG. No other devices.

One thing I wondered about was if there is a small leak, like a tank o-ring letting small amounts of air out, if not having that completely sealed connection would affect the POD's reading somehow? I make a point of changing out o-rings on the tank when this happens but haven't tested it at all to see if there is a correlation.

The recall fix will do nothing to help you. They're changing the case and battery and providing a new HP spool. I would get a new POD - sounds like an intermittent transmitter issue.

Back
Top Bottom