Epic2012 w/cold water kit vs. without

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hsinhai

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I understand the Epic 2012 sealed/cold water kit are the same thing.

Does having the sealed version make it a 'better' regulator regardless of water temp? for instance if diving in water which will not go below 60F all year round? or would having the cold water kit in warm water be potential for a different set of issues?

Hsinhai

The sealed will not really make better in non cold waters, it will be better in HEAVY silt diving like PSD and slightly protect against corrosion in the ambient chamber. No additional issues.

I dive the non cold when I dive my epic. I have had it in water down to fifty degrees with no issues. The main difference when I recommend a sealed over a non sealed is rinsing is easier on the sealed. And you need to remember that cold is somewhat misleading to most people.when talking about any reg. The correct term is environmentally sealed. Which means that not only is it good for cold water but also silty, sandy, lots of other particulates, or fine vegetation. None of that comes into contact with the internals in any way. On the non sealed the adjustment spring is in contact with the water. If you are fastidious about rinsing for your temps the non cold would be fine. But if you dive where there is lots of stuff in the water and there is any chance that you would have to delay good rinsing I would recommend sealed. And that goes for just plain saltwater. All my dives with mine are in fresh clear water. Any chance of junk like sand, silt, or around here bad algae, I'm using my sealed HOG D-1's. Or if I had a personal one a sealed Epic.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom