Epilepsy and Full Face Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Diesel00 asked a similar question a year ago with no reply. Hence this query / comment.
I've been diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumour which has been causing seizures.
Sufficient Epilim (2000mg / day) has cut out the seizures, i.e. life for the next (x = pick a great number) years on land is sort of OK.
I'm an advanced diver with 500 + dives and figure that at the worst, an u/w seizure (grand mal) with the usual gear could end up the mouthpiece being left behind.
BUT if I got a full face mask, a total seizure would still leave me able to breathe for the few minutes it takes to recover.
Permanent partner (dive and everything else) is my wife - i.e. could keep an extra eye on me.:D
Or I sell all my gear and stay dryish :-(
I'm not anticipating dying, just trying to consider all situations.
Comments or similar experiences?
Thanks

it's a choice you and your wife will have to make -
having witnessed more grand mals that i want - i would say a full mask would be better. i DO NOT KNOW how depth and/or different nitrox mixes will affect Epilepsy meds and i'm not aware of any studies on it. plan for the worst, hope for the best - would be good idea for her to have her rescue cert if not already.

This is one of those situations where no one can make the decision except you, because the normal risk-benefit calculations just don't apply.

The problem with seizures underwater is airway control, and you are right -- a full face mask makes that less of a problem. It won't solve issues like the tongue occluding the airway, or vomiting while still having a depressed level of consciousness after a seizure, but it will solve the problem of losing the regulator or aspirating water during or after the fit.

The fact that you would only be diving with your wife, who is both aware of the issues and has a strong motivation to cope with problems, this may be an answer to you. It isn't "safe", but I don't think that's what my biggest focus in life would be, given your story.

I am very sorry about your diagnosis, but glad you are making the best of it.

One of my occasional dive buddies has an old AGA Interspiro FFM, and likes it. I'd point out a few things from observing it's use:

1.) Unlike some FFM, she'd need to take it off to receive someone else's octopus in an out-of-air emergency. And it's held on with a number of straps.

2.) At the surface, there's a valve of some sort she turns to let air in & out, so she can breathe ambient air. I don't think she's ever had a seizure in her life, but if she did & I took her to the surface, and didn't turn that valve thing, if she ran out of tank air, she could suffocate.

3.) Both she & a friend who tried the mask found they go through air faster than with a standard mask.

4.) The thing basically does not fog up at all, and I don't think they have to clear it, either. Equalizing is more difficult than with a standard mask.

I'm not advocating or opposing use of a FFM in your situation, just relaying anecdotal experience of a loved one with an older but reputable model.

Richard.

OK - Thanks to everyone who has read and especially taken the effort to replied to this post.
Looks like snorkling for a while until I get this whole thing sorted with full-time partner :)
2073.jpg

AntaresNick,

I feel your pain. I haven't had a seizure in over 3 years. I already know what the doctors say. Any buddy that I dive with I just let them know that there is a possibly of myself having a seizure and let them make the call if they want to dive with me. Tell you the truth I dive with allot of really good divers that way. I also haven't been deeper than 40ft since my last seizure either. I never did get a FFM either. My Neurologist & I did some brain storming and figured that allot of stress brings on seizures in me. So I just try to stay as stress free as possible nowadays. I just have always looked at it this way. I hope you get everything sorted out soon.

Thanks

I will not say whether you should, or should not, be using a full-face mask. But you should be aware that there are different types of FFM options available. Some operate on ambient pressure, and some are what is known as positive pressure breathing masks. Some masks are available with positive pressure breathing, and some are not. The Scubapro full face mask is not available for positive pressure breathing, for instance. The Divator Mk II mask is available with positive pressure breathing. Why is positive pressure breathing important in your case? The positive pressure feature means that if there is a leak, air will bleed out rather than water coming inside the mask. If you have a convulsion with this mask, and in the process open the seal of the mask, air will escape rather than the mask flooding. We use these masks is IDLH environments (Immediately Dangerous to Life and Health) in Haz-Mat or fire situations. My recommendation is that if you decide on a FFM, get one with positive pressure breathing and use that option (some masks allow you to have positive pressure switched off). This comes from my professional safety and industrial hygiene experience.

As a further note, I feel that scuba diving shallow water with the positive pressure full face mask is safer than snorkeling if you do suffer a seizure.

SeaRat
John C. Ratliff, CSP, CIH, MSPH

Just another thought, I am not sure of your personal experiences, however while the FFM would keep you having a supply of air during and after the seizure, what about during your postictal period? Many of the people I encounter are normal rational people and will nearly engage in full on combat than keep a non-rebreather mask on, I would be very concerned that as your level of consciousness increased you would attempt to rip the mask off.

My wife is in the same boat as you with the seizures. She chose to dive with a full face mask vs. not diving again, not a hard choice for her. We returned from her first dive trip with it about a month ago, as was said, air consumption increased. No other ill effects.

She chose to make several trips to the local pool to practice donning the mask and trying different scenarios she might encounter, as the FFM presents problems with sharing air, clearing and equalizing. This alleviated some problems before an open water trip.

Probably not the best choice to dive with seizures, but as with life, choices must be made as to quality of life vs risk......You are taking an increased risk just by diving.

The guy who taught me to dive was later diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor. He underwent some radiation treatment to shrink the tumor- so the condition is semi-manageable. He still has occasional trance like seizures, which are managed with medications.

He no longer teaches, but he loves diving and is an excellent dive buddy. He takes his meds and controls his condition the best he can. I have been cold water diving with him and his whacky brain since 1996. Dozens and dozens of dives in the cold kelpy waters of Monterey bay.

I've been in the water with him, at depth, while he had a seizure. The event was recognizable. He did not need my help, just my awareness. If his seizure had lasted, I would have managed his buoyancy and brought him to the surface, but thirty seconds in, he was back. We called the dive made a leisurely ascent making our way back to our entry point. His seizures sometimes come in waves, so it made sense to thumb the dive. Anyway, it was a problem, but one that was managed in the water. My friend has a full faced mask. To be honest, sometimes he wears it, sometimes he doesn't- that's his call and I respect it. (intellectually, it makes sense to use a full face mask all the time. But then, every diver has opinions about what gear is "safe"...)

Divers have to evaluate their abilities, and the abilities of their buddies for each individual dive. Every dive plan has to account for these factors and the specific conditions of the planned dive. For any dive down to ~100', I would choose my whacky brained friend over any other diver. I know I may be called upon to rescue him, but I regularly practice bringing up a diver from depth. He wants to dive, is a good diver, knows more about diving than me and is really fun! So we dive dives that make sense for our team abilities.

I hope this gives you some perspective. If your condition is managed, give me a call and I'll dive with you.

Back
Top Bottom