EPL-2 camera and housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It appears that Olympus will also introduce an accessory fisheye converter to clip onto the KIT lens and a second converter perhaps macro for U/W use. These should be announced Tuesday along with the camera and housing. I own the EVF and it is great for surface use put did not work well in the housing so I too will not miss the hump on the first housing.

Phil Rudin

Good going Oly, the new housing is so much more refined and so much less clunky and the new camera has some good improvements. Hope the lenses and domes fit. I did not like the EVF hump and that is a large reason why I did not go with that system.

The new XZ1 looks like a contender in the high powered P&S class against the Canon S90/95 so it really depends there what housings are developed and what lenses can be adapted.

N

I'm still happy with the E-PL1. Simple minds. But I would like to get the new 14-42 II kit lens, for faster autofocus. That was the big advantage some of the the Panasonic lenses had, a better motor and internal focus with less glass moving to focus. I looked around the web for a Japanese import of the E-PL1s, could buy just for the new lens if that is the only way. I did see the lens would go worldwide, maybe patience is the answer. Tuesday's announcement eagerly awaited....

Any idea when the 50 mm macro lens from Olympus is coming out

Good going Oly, the new housing is so much more refined and so much less clunky and the new camera has some good improvements. Hope the lenses and domes fit. I did not like the EVF hump and that is a large reason why I did not go with that system. ...
N

Really?
I think the change isn't all that much. I use a Sola focus/video light attached to the top of the housing, so I don't find the bump to be an issue at all. With a tray and arms holding strobes, the bump is not in the way of anything. I really don't think this would be a big factor in deciding to go with the E-PL1 and Oly housing or not but I would like to hold both of them to make sure.
And, as Peter mentioned, the bouyancy characteristics are pretty good with the bump.

epl1housings.jpg

I am curious about the performance (and of course the cost) of the new kit lens. If they keep the price down and it performs like my 9-18 then it will be a great lens and a fantastic value. But having said that, the benefit of the new lens over the old will be appreciated mostly by those doing video due to the lack of focus noise and that shouldn't be a big deal U/W.
Their changes do reflect that they have been paying attention to the feedback though.

Yes, among other things. :idk:

Seriously, I doubt the buoyancy will be effected very much.

One of the other things was the camera was Godawful s-l-o-w. I understand the new lenses and the newest versions are faster in focus and response times.

Another of the things, might add a dang optical vf also.

Yet another is to many buttons.

Yet another, kinda large when packed, not much smaller than the T1i I returned (due to malfunction) and still have the Tokina 10-17. It too had way to many buttons and menus.

Since you asked, I got more reasons if you really want to know.

This is more how I think:

http://www.finepix-x100.com/

You guys have your weird reasons for things, I got mine.

Oly does seem to be serious about providing a quality unit and they seem to be responsive to the users.

N

Damn! That Fuji is a beautiful camera, Nemrod. Any idea as to a release date?
Yes, among other things. :idk:

Seriously, I doubt the buoyancy will be effected very much.

One of the other things was the camera was Godawful s-l-o-w. I understand the new lenses and the newest versions are faster in focus and response times.

Another of the things, might add a dang optical vf also.

Yet another is to many buttons.

Yet another, kinda large when packed, not much smaller than the T1i I returned (due to malfunction) and still have the Tokina 10-17. It too had way to many buttons and menus.

Since you asked, I got more reasons if you really want to know.

This is more how I think:

Home | The FinePix X100 Professional Photographer's compact digital camera from Fujifilm

You guys have your weird reasons for things, I got mine.

Oly does seem to be serious about providing a quality unit and they seem to be responsive to the users.

N

Well I am surprised nobody mentions ERGONOMICS as an important improvement
Better ERGONOMICS are missing to what is an already a reasonable focusing and high quality machine...

While the size weight, quality are great here are my gripes:
1) the LCD is bad and now it finally got better, but is it going to be good enough? The EVF with a good mask is useful but like mentioned it is most useful with some magnification tool and at 45 deg...The LCD on the Sony is better and it gives a tilting ability. Underwater I would even purchase a large external monitor to be able to see what I am framing and focusing on. It would make a huge difference. Subal seems to provide one. Anyway maybe the new EPL2 will be "reasonable" I hope ... for the time being.
2) There is no easy way to get your 3 or 4 settings you need underwater. The Fn and red buttons are almost unusable as you have to push them to set your custom settings.
What is so difficult in setting at least 3 custom settings like My1, My2, My3 on the function dial to easily choose from?? The Ricoh GX compact SERIES (inside the Sea&Sea DXG series) does it right and it is heralded as an ergonomic winner in this respect. Underwater this would be a true helpful feature in getting the right shots... (like MAcro setting, Wide setting with flash, Wide without flash for example)
3) White balance is painful inefficient. Not only it tends to have a hard time to get it right (with painful and time consuming retries...) but it is too cumbersome for quick fixing. Why is too hard to assign a button, press it (without having to hold ...) and press the shutter... done... (!) I assigned it the Fn button but you must hold it down, then press the shutter and then ...(if it works) ... it asks for OK? (X"£$%/???) without just getting you back to shooting...
4) a bigger wheel positioned right for zooming or focusing? Or what about the magnetic knobs used by INON (MRS system).

Oh well I had to let it out.... :wink:

Frankly taking the EVF out is really a much lesser deal than what I currently struggle with this system when UW.

Well Nemrod, That was my point. The bump isn't that big of a deal. You have a long list of what I consider to be much more important considerations to you.

I had the Optical VF for the 17mm lens. Didn't like it, not being TTL. I am curious how well the Fuji one works since it doesn't seem to be TTL either and apparently is a fixed 35mm (equiv) viewfinder.
As you know, I don't share your aversion to button pushing. I too have the T2i and understand why you would lump it in with the e-pl1 as they do have similar interfaces.

Nudi.. All good points too.

The new add-on lens converters for the 14-42 II kit lens include a fisheye, wide angle and macro type diopter. Not likely they would work well behind the stock dome port except for perhaps the macro.

Phil Rudin

Attachments

• converters.jpg
    converters.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 120
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom