EPL-2 camera and housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well it clearly is a different camera than the E-PL1 and the housings will clearly not be compatible.
DPReview has posted their impression of the E=PL2
Olympus E-PL2 Hands-on Preview: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

It has a dial in the back now, but they think it may be too small.
More direct control and less button pushing seem to be some of the highlights of the changes along with the faster, quieter lens.

Here's an overview of the new Olympus E-PL2. The faster shutter speed and increased LCD resolution should be nice.

Like underwater said, housings definitely not compatible.

Regarding macro with a E-PL1 and E-PL2, I think a +4 diopter is the way to go, with a high-quality diopter you won't loose much image quality at all.

well I found this test which shows how the new epl2 kit lens performs. Overall better at wide end but slightly worse at 42mm. There is a mention for better dynamic range response.. (?)
DSLR Magazine - Olympus E-PL2: la Prueba
Given that minimum focussing distance on new kit lens is 5 cm further away at 42mm the macro part suffers a bit.

On the other end the EPL2 has definitely improved the LCD screen, the sync flash speed from 160th to 180th, and maybe the turning wheel may help UW...

So I can rest in peace with my EPL1 at least for a while waiting for the new lenses and the pro M43 on the horizon...
:)

Andrea

Last edited:
why can't canon make a case like this for its g series.

I am an e-pl1 underwater user. Actually I think the other way. though I enjoy the higher quality of this housing, I wish there's a canon G series style housing for this camera. The advantage of e-pl1 is the size and price over SLR, if there's a smaller and cheaper housing, it would be even more unbeatable. For quality, I won't be so loyal to own this camera for too long. Canon housing is good for at least 2~3 years (or 200 dives) use, which should be long enough for my next upgrade.

I consider getting e-pl2 with Oly housing. My initial thought was to get a dome port and 9-19 zuiko lens for wa behind the port.
I wonder whether converters will work with athena or zen dome port as this may reduce the lens cost. Anybody has info about this?
Meanwhile, I am also split between zen and athena domes. Athena port uses an adapter, I thought I might be able to use it in the future with other housings I may get. Do you think this is really possible, I mean if there is no way to use the athena port in the future, I might as well go for zen port?

thanks in advance for your input

Regarding ports for the EPL-1 & 2 housings, first lets hope Olympus made the port mount the same size for both housings. It would be a shame if the ports did not transfer.

If you already own Athena ports for your Olympus DSLR housings, (like the E-620, E-520, E-410 housings) then the adapter from Athena might be a good idea. Consider that since most of the lenses E-PL V. E-4/3 are much different in size most of the Athena ports would not be useful.

The ZEN ports on the otherhand were designed for the E-PL system. The ZEN port for 9-18 also works very well with the 14-42 zoom. I am on my way to the Florida springs with the new ZEN port for the Panasonic 8mm fisheye, (same wonderful glass used in the 10-17 Tokina port for DSLR) should have some images to share next week. I also had a look at the ZEN port for the Pana 45 macro and it is sweet, very small with the 67mm thread for external cloesup lenses.

If the PEN system is what you are going to use going forward ( and I don't see any new DSLR housing coming from Oly any time soon) then ZEN is where you should be putting your money.

Phil Rudin

Thanks for your recommendations. You made a very good point; I am also considering to invest into a full dslr kit. Probably I should first decide between dslr and pen..
Meanwhile, I have inquired port compatibility from an European supplier (they already have both e-pl2 and PT03 in stock) and they have confirmed that both PT-01 and 03 are sharing the same flat port, i.e. zen port will physically fit into new oly housing (probably it will also be ok optically).

Meanwhile, I have inquired port compatibility from an European supplier (they already have both e-pl2 and PT03 in stock) and they have confirmed that both PT-01 and 03 are sharing the same flat port, i.e. zen port will physically fit into new oly housing (probably it will also be ok optically).

Olympus calls the housing for the E-PL2 the "PT-EP03", not PT-03 (there is no PT-03 now, but the housing for the older e300 was called a PT-E03). Be careful to use the exact part number when ordering O-rings or you will be chasing your tail.
http://www.olympus-europa.com/consumer/images/PT-EP03_system_chart_final.pdf

At this moment, the E-PL2 is not in stock in the USA. I'm surprised it is available in Europe - usually Japan is first. I'll be watching for a hands on review of the housing.

So that people won't become even more confused, Housing, PT-E01-camera E300, PT-E02-E330, PT-E03-E410, PT-E05-E-520, PT-E06-E-620. Pen cameras, housing PT-EP01-camera-E-PL1, PT-EP03-E-PL2.

Phil Rudin

Back
Top Bottom