EPL-2 camera and housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For those of you that already have EPL1 - how deep have you taken it?

A bit of background, currently I use a Fuji e900 compact + Ikelite housing, and it's rated to 60 msw depth - tested to 50 msw and it works, buttons can tend to get a life of their own, but that's a different topic altogether. :wink: Since I dive frequently at bigger depths, and having recently done the normoxic trimix course, I will be only diving deeper in foreseeable future, so the equipment should hold well.

I plan to make the upgrade to either EPL1 or EPL2 + appropriate Olympus housing, and would like to hear your experiences:
- how deep did you take it?
- how are you satisfied with the video performance as well (I'm cutting corners here, I know, but since the camera has video capabilities, they will be used) regarding the camera itself (EPL1) - any limitations worth knowing?

My current Fuji does 640x480 @30fps for as long as the mem card can take it.

I'm currently using regular 4/3 system (E3), so the benefits and drawbacks of the system itself are not a matter of discussion, for me - it's just ok. :)

Thanks for your replies!

I don't have an E-PL1, nor E-PL2 yet, but for deep diving I wouldn't want to try it out with Olympus' polycarbonate housing, as it is rated to -40m only.

Beyond -40m you'll have to check out third party housing manufacturers, like e.g. 10Bar (E-Pl1) or Athena (E-P1/E-P2).

For what it's worth, I've had my EPL-1 with the Olympus housing to 160 feet several times and all the buttons worked just fine.

Don't know why if you already own an Olympue E-3 and housing you would want to go backwards. While the E-PL line of cameras are great for most weekend shooters the system in no way approaches the E-3 with the Nexus or SeaTool housings for the depths you are talking about. Size is not that big a tradeoff to go 60 meters plus.

Phil Rudin

I think all of the camera manufacturers set a 40m limit on their housings, so they won't be seen as encouraging dangerous behaviors to inexperienced divers.

Initially if you exceed your housing's depth rating the buttons stop popping back after they are pressed. If the thing implodes in your hands, well maybe you are too deep (and probably narc'd).

I dive probably 4 weeks a year and I am looking to step up from my current point and shoot set up. I am trying to decide between the Olympus E-PL2 and Canon G12 (with ikelite housing). Based on what I have read, the Olympus seems to be the better choice. I would appreciate any views that might help me choose. Thanks.

I dive probably 4 weeks a year and I am looking to step up from my current point and shoot set up. I am trying to decide between the Olympus E-PL2 and Canon G12 (with ikelite housing). Based on what I have read, the Olympus seems to be the better choice. I would appreciate any views that might help me choose. Thanks.
Having recently upgraded from the Canon G series with an Ike housing (and strobes) to the E-PL1, I can confirm that it is a much better choice for me.
By going with the Pen camera, you should increase your equipment based chances of getting a good or great picture.

My estimates based on pulling statistics out of thin air..
Good pics are 50% equipment and 50% photographer.
Great pics are 10% equipment and 90% photographer.

I think all of the camera manufacturers set a 40m limit on their housings, so they won't be seen as encouraging dangerous behaviors to inexperienced divers.

Initially if you exceed your housing's depth rating the buttons stop popping back after they are pressed. If the thing implodes in your hands, well maybe you are too deep (and probably narc'd).

It's true that the recommended depth limit for recreational divers is 40m, and that is a common spec for inexpensive housings, but not all. Tech divers have the training and gear to go deeper safely and there are several housings for them.

Ikelite rates most of its housings to 60m; many other vendors make tech rated gear for deeper work. To work to greater depth, the springs on the buttons have to be quite stiff and the housings and seals more robust.

I dove with a G9 for a long time, great camera. I've got an E-pl1 now. They're completely different animals. If you don't have money or space issues, the E-pl2 is the way to go. I'd put the newer Oly point n shoot in the league of the G12 if you're looking at something compact... that'd be a tough choice.

Under water and Friscuba - thanks for your feedback. I also found the thread on this topic from November. Seems the Oly is the winner and price is similar (at least with Ikelite housing for the G12).

Back
Top Bottom