EPL-3....What do I need?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cali_diver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am pretty sure I have decided to get the EPL-3. Now I just need to know what I need to complete my system. No real budget constraints so tell me what I need!!

Camera
Housing
Strobe
______?
______?

I have just used a point and shoot compact so any info and advice would be greatly appreciated. The more I read the more I get a little overwhelmed with all the info put out there.

I haven't been able to do a ton of Macro so I do not have any experience in what is needed. I am possibly going to Wakatobi in June so a macro set up would be very beneficial. I am going to Belize in April so I would love to have my new set up by then.

Thank you
Diana

The folks at backscatter helped me out with a housing and strobe recommendation for my epl-1. Their prices are a little higher but followup technical support is outstanding. Very helpful in moving up from a compact system.

How about a dome port if you want to do wide-angle? I got the Zen port so I could use the Oly 9-18mm zoom lens (this is with the Olympus housing).

With the epl-3 I think you will have more housing choice than I did.

I already had a I-torch video pro light for focus and of course shooting video, which along with my tray & flex arm carried over from my compact setup.

Sea & sea YS-01 strobe was where I landed...

I have a bigblue w/flash-off led that I was thinking I could also mount but the lumens are only 170 so not sure it that is enough for video or not. They have a Inon UWL H100 28m67 Wide conversion lens type 2 or an olympus 9-18mm lens with a zen 100mm dome. the olympus 9-18 is twice as much...

It is more expensive, yes. My belief is that the Zen dome + 9-18mm will outperform a wet lens + kit lens option optically, but I haven't tried a wet wide-angle lens on my housing. Has anyone else tried this option? Also I wanted the 9-18mm lens so I could take terrestrial photos with it.

I also ended up with the Sea&Sea YS-01 strobe.

This is what I ordered from Reef in late December. I already had one D2000 strobe.

FIX LED1000DX Light Set/Silver

Inon D-2000 Strobe Type 4

Inon -0.5 Blue Diffuser 2 (TTL/Manual)

Inon O-Ring Set for Z-series Strobes

Nauticam NA-EPL3 Housing for Olympus E-PL3

Nauticam M10 Strobe Mounting Ball

Nauticam 1” Ball Mount for Inon Strobes

Nauticam Sea & Sea -> Inon Fiber Optic Cable

Nauticam Silicone O-ring Set for NA-EPL3 Housing

Nauticam 4.33 inch Dome Port for Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5

Nauticam Flat port 56 for Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm F3.5-5

Nauticam Zoom Gear for O1442-Z Olympus M.Zuiko 14-42mm Lens

Nauticam Adjustable Flexitray for Compact Housings

Nauticam Adjustable Right Handle for Easitray and Flexitray

Nauticam 1 inch Base Ball for Easitray and Flexitray

Nauticam 125mm / 5” Double Ball Arm Segment

Nauticam 75mm / 3” Single Ball YS Arm (Strobe Adapter)

Nauticam Clamp for all 1\" ball arm systems

Nikon LC-67 Snap-On Front Lens Cap (repl.)

I've only done about 6 dives with it so far but It's a huge step up from the panasonic DMC FT1 that I was using before. I lost the lens cap immediatly so make sure you get one with a leash.
I went for the Nauticam over the Olympus housing because the ports are easier and faster to change and because it has a moisure alarm.
So far I have the camera and the 14-42 kit lens but I'm planning to get the the Panasonic 8mm fisheye lens http://www.adorama.comIPC835.html and the 14mm (which both go in the same port) in a few weeks. I'm also planning to get a small focus light with an auto switch off when the strobe fires. The whole thing assembled and ready to dive weighs about 5kg and I'm hoping to get in just under 7kg (airline restrictions) with all the spares etc when i travel. I brought a thinktank airport ultralight v2.5 to put it in. Can't help with macro sorry, My credit card needs a little rest before I start that process.

Happy to answer any questions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom