EPL-5 60mm lens okay in Zen Dome port for 9-18mm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ryan B.

Contributor
Reaction score
Works fine above water, and there's plenty of room, but, never quite understanding node points and suchlike, I'm unsure of optics in the water.

Hi,

It works beautifully, the first time I tried I was skeptical, afterwards it's my preffered configuration for small to medium animals. Except for really small nudibranch or capturing coral detail, it's a very good configuration. Better than words are the photos, please view bellow.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Regards,
Pedro

Hi,

It works beautifully, the first time I tried I was skeptical, afterwards it's my preferred configuration for small to medium animals. Except for really small nudibranch or capturing coral detail, it's a very good configuration. Better than words are the photos, please view bellow.

Regards,
Pedro

What distance from the port face were these taken at? The 60mm keeps you a fair distance away from the subject (6"-7") versus some lens+diopters that get you right on top of the subjects. Did the dome port allow you to get any closer?

What distance from the port face were these taken at? The 60mm keeps you a fair distance away from the subject (6"-7") versus some lens+diopters that get you right on top of the subjects. Did the dome port allow you to get any closer?

The flat port on the Olympus PT-EP10 gives about the same working distance that the dome. From my experience it's a bit closer than you mention, I would say usually 3"-4".
Even being quite luminosos lens (f 2.8) you do need to given a hand on lighting the subject to help focus faster. It's important to mention I used very strong constant led light to shoot (~10.000 lumens), this helps a lot approaching the subject and composing the shoot.

Apparently Merxlin can see your pics, I just get: .

Last edited:
Apparently Merxlin can see your pics, I just get: .
Thanks, though, for letting me know that it works; now I won't have to switch ports when I switch lenses.
I had to right click and "open in new tab" to see them.

That did it. I get small images, but no evidence of vignetting or suchlike. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom