Equalization education is poorly taught.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And it's a horrible example. We teach in a "Monkey see: Monkey do!" environment. Students often and wrongly idolize instructors and the way we dive. They want to be -just-like-us-. So, when they see us doing these bounce dives, it becomes acceptable for them to do. "Oh, it's OK! I saw my instructor do the very same thing, over and over again!" Every dive should have a single descent, followed by a safety stop and a single ascent. That's what my students see because that's how I want them to dive. It's also why I excel in my trim and buoyancy on every dive: Monkey see => Monkey do! Set the example. Be the example. Your students are always watching. Yes, even students who've never signed up for a class. They want to be -just-like-us-, so I always set an excellent example.

And it's a horrible example. We teach in a "Monkey see: Monkey do!" environment. Students often and wrongly idolize instructors and the way we dive. They want to be -just-like-us-. So, when they see us doing these bounce dives, it becomes acceptable for them to do. "Oh, it's OK! I saw my instructor do the very same thing, over and over again!" Every dive should have a single descent, followed by a safety stop and a single ascent. That's what my students see because that's how I want them to dive. It's also why I excel in my trim and buoyancy on every dive: Monkey see => Monkey do! Set the example. Be the example. Your students are always watching. Yes, even students who've never signed up for a class. They want to be -just-like-us-, so I always set an excellent example.
That is so true! And don't stop teaching we need instructors like you!

Can you get around the CESA thing any way? Like teach it horizontally and then do a one foot CESA in OW while explaining that you don't agree with the agency requirement?

Unfortunately, no. A one foot CESA would be a quick ticket to a QA with most RSTC agencies.

It's one of many reasons why I like team-teaching with another instructor, or at least having multiple classes working at the same time. Our shop will charter an entire boat for 3+ classes (not all of which are OW), so we'll have instructors teaching Advanced, Rescue, specialties, etc, and they will take a moment out of their classes to run a CESA or two with whoever is teaching OW. It makes a huge difference after a full day to have only done two CESAs, instead of eight. With smoother classes, you can sometimes break them up over the course of two weekends (half the class does their CESA first weekend, other half the 2nd weekend) but that doesn't always prove possible.

Plus, I like having feeling in my fingers at the end of a weekend teaching...

i was taught the Valsalva technique.....and it works-ish for me.

ive found swallowing works significantly better for me, and its hands free......the only time i do valsalva is if i have an ear thats being suborn, and wont equalize with swallowing and wriggling my jaw.

ive also found that using ear drops before i get in the water also helps greatly with being to equalize without issue.

After I watched this video and practiced, I developed this habit of equalizing... I find myself doing it in bed or on the couch, anywhere. Sometimes when diving I don’t even think about it, it’s just happening. Learn equalizing from a freediver!
Frenzel is a very good method, and is the best when freediving.
Most Scuba divers, indeed, do not know that an almost-equivalent method exists for scuba diving (to be used with open mouth and regulator inside it), which is called the Marcante-Odaglia method.
It is taught only in Italy, apparently, and only at FIPS and FIAS diving schools.
When free diving, the two methods are basically the same, as the mouth is closed. Marcante-Odaglia is substantially a Frenzel practised by a Scuba diver, keeping the mouth open.
This requires a very slight modification of the movement of the tongue, but the principle is the same: to create pressure above the soft palate by pushing it up with the tongue and with the help of some muscles usually employed only when yawning....
The lungs are not involved, so all the problems caused by Valsalva are avoided.
As Frenzel is easier to learn when freediving, here in Italian schools we train students equalizing in freediving, and only when they master it completely they try to do it while breathing from a Scuba system.

Huh.. Either I've been inadvertently doing it that way the whole time or I misunderstood something in the video. I guess I'll keep doing what I've been doing and maybe start calling it frenzel instead of valsalva. I've never had a problem when equalizing heads-down (or more commonly, horizontal). Honestly I think I might have to go dig up a valsalva video and see what the difference is.
The main difference is that with Valsalva you use your lungs for creating pressure, with Frenzel you use your tongue...
Frenzel is mostly used by freedivers, who are trained to close their glottis as a safety measure for not drowning when a syncope occurs due hypoxia. So they cannot use Valsalva, as the glottis, being closed, impedes the air to go from lungs to the nasal cavity.
Scuba divers, instead, are usually trained to NEVER close their glottis, as this is a measure to reduce the risk of over pressure inside lungs during a rapid ascent.
Most free divers, who use routinely Frenzel, do not realize that they can still use something very similar to Frenzel also when breathing form a Scuba system. That is Marcante-Odaglia...

As Johnny-come lately to the thread I'll just throw in a little. There are quite a few ways to successfully equalize. Can they (should they) all be fully explained in an OW course? Maybe. Have to consider the time limits for a rented pool I guess.
One can also read up on them all on the internet such as here.
Prior to taking OW course I did not know real (non-scuba) ear plugs were a no-no. Believe it or not, with all my decades snorkeling to depths of 8-10' I actually din't know this--and my "ear" problems was my only concern about taking up scuba.
There are many threads on equalisation, nere I say to do a search.

CESA-- I can imagine problems occuring with instructors constantly going up & down with students. Fortunately, my job was always to supervise and stay on the bottom. But, with my usual 20-30' shallow shore diving I frequently ascend to check exactly where I am. Not the same as CESAing 8 times, but I've never had any problems.

Thank you for such a valuable information. I have been searching for it for a long time and finally found it. Really appreciate your replies!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom