Equalization problems, can they be surgically corrected?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dizzi Lizzi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Yes, I will contact DAN. Yes we will consult with a ENT. Till then....
My husband has sinus problems and a deviated septum. He chronically has "stuffed nose" that changes side to side. It's not always positional, usually when sleeping it can be the down side nare but sometimes to be ornery it will be the up side nare. Routine use of allegra seems to help some.
He was seen by an ENT several years ago before starting diving and they said they could fix this problem, I presume a "nose job". My question is would that possibly help him with equalizing? He cannot dive as much as he (I) want because of this, and he has marginally hurt his ears because of forcing it. Now we call the dive if he can't get down within 10 minutes. Also we are considering a future trip to Cozumel, but are concerned that he would not be able to go down fast enough ie be in a different current than the group. Any thoughts?

Hi Dizzi Lizzi. Give your husband my condolences. I have the same symptoms minus the deviation.

Behind the counter pseudoephedrine. The one you have to sign for. Not Sudafed PE.

FYI. Pseudoephedrine is illegal in Mexico but to my knowledge it has never been enforced in Cozumel.

Hasn't any of the doctors offered him Nasonex? A nasal spray with a steroid in it.

Yes, he used some pseudophedrine during our recent trip with better results. Anxiety also has an effect I'm sure. He also started using nasal rinse prior to diving, (the night before and the morning of) as I do. Combined they seemed to make a difference.

Dr Lizzi prescribed it (nasonex) and gave it to him. He hated it, taste issue. I will have to nag a bit more. If it could only be given for a few days in advance he could be compliant, but since it needs to be given on routine dosing to be effective...

REAL Sudafed is life. It's been associated with oxygen toxicity events, but if you look into the research behind that it's very much sketchy at best. Phenylephrine (Sudafed PE and many, many others) has been studied and found to be literally useless. "No better than a sugar pill" according to the link, below.

Why many nasal decongestants are useless

Not going to be a quick fix but have you been to an allergist? I had the exact same issues as your husband (chronic sinus issues, deviated septum, congestion) and after got tested for allergies, started the immunization shots. No surgery and my life is waaaay better now.

I used to constantly be congested, saw an ENT after having a sinus infection in every month of the year in 2008. A cat scan later and he ID'd many restrictions and what not. I had FESS, septum corrected, tonsils removed, all in one go. I swear by the surgery from a quality of life perspective, for me it made a huge difference in breathing, sleep, mood, etc. As for diving, I noticed no differences, but I wasn't having issues before the surgery either.

Does your husband ever suffer heartburn/gastritis/GERD? If answer is yes, does he take meds for that? Surprisingly enough GERD can give you a stuffy nose especially overnight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom