Equalization

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a dive buddy that when we started diving together a few months ago could hardly get down to 70' (he actually used an entire tank and never made it below 50') due to difficulties equalizing. Now after 30 or so dives together he is able to make it to 100' in les than 2 minutes. Still not setting any records on decent speed but drastically improved over 3 months ago! Keep experimenting and go slowly using whatever method works for you. Eventually you will get quicker/more efficient at it. Just remember we only get two ears if it hurts STOP!

I've been swimming, snorkeling, and breathhold-diving (freediving wasn't a word yet I don't think) since I was a kid, I had a lot of practice. I suppose I equalize all the time too, it's just that I simply breathe out through the nose and that automagically keeps my ears pressurized. (There are downsides to breathing out through the nose, of course; mask fogging and possibly leaking too. Mine usually doesn't, though.)

I gave up the breathing out through the nose for equalization for that exact reason: "fogging the heck up my mask". So, I just pinch my nose & pop my ears every 1-3 feet of descent in the first 30 feet depth. Afterward I'm good to go for the rest of the dive.

I gave up the breathing out through the nose for equalization for that exact reason: "fogging the heck up my mask".

Dive in the tropics, they don't fog up in warm water. :wink:

Dive in the tropics, they don't fog up in warm water. :wink:

Really? I was applying 98.6F steam (100% humidity air coming out of my nose) into my mask in 82F water.

:rofl3:

What can I tell you: mine hardly ever fogs up. Perhaps I have a dehumidifying nose..

I have a dive buddy that when we started diving together a few months ago could hardly get down to 70' (he actually used an entire tank and never made it below 50') due to difficulties equalizing. Now after 30 or so dives together he is able to make it to 100' in les than 2 minutes. Still not setting any records on decent speed but drastically improved over 3 months ago! Keep experimenting and go slowly using whatever method works for you. Eventually you will get quicker/more efficient at it. Just remember we only get two ears if it hurts STOP!
I think like everything else, our bodies get used to any activity if done often enough. I have noticed in the past that the more often I dived, the less I needed to equalise.

I have used the Doc's plugs (with very limited success), not for pressure, only for limiting water coming into the ear. They are kind of a "pick a size that fits you the best" generic plug and I have found that they don't really work all that well. Even with them in I still have to do valsalva to equalize. I cannot speak for the ear masks at all.
I've always said the same. They do limit water from going DEEP into the ear--for me about the same as what a hood does (thus I don't wear the plugs if wearing the hood, which is most of the time). I can't see how they would HELP with equalization--without them in, the ears are completely open, so how can it get any better with anything in there? But, I'm no physiologist either.

Over the years diving and on scubaboard I have found that people equalise in quite a few different ways in addition to the traditional ones usually discussed. Some have more trouble than others. Some find it easier over time, others not. Do what works best for you. I'm one of the lucky ones who can do it internally with no motions like Frenzel/Valsalva, swallowing, jaw moving, etc.

Last edited:
The first 2 dives I did I got ear barotruma both times, due to problems equalising and felt discomfort due to pressure at depth. Both time my ears were popping for weeks after the dives and I thought I would never be able to dive. Definitely didn't want to go through that again! So I purchased the doc plug and used it on my last recent dive and I was able to equalise and was comfortable throughout the dive. Note, it took a few mins to equalise after the initial descent, had great 2 tank dive on that day. Ears only popped for a few hours after the dive and no barotrauma. I am a firm believer in the proplugs as now I know I can dive without damaging my ears or having surgery of some kind. It's a small investment for saving your ears! I got 3 sizes to make sure I got the right fit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom