Equalizing Problems!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi guys! I am a 14-year-old girl, and I have been a certified advanced diver for 2 years. I have recently been having a real problem with equalizing my ears. It started a while back and became noticeably bad last summer when I dove in Hawaii. My left ear would not clear, and it was so painful I had to ascend. I have tried some equalizing tips and tricks from online, but every time I try to dive again, the pain returns and lasts several days. I was wondering if anyone out there has had something similar happen, and if so how they treated it. Thank you, and stay safe!

Seen this one?
Beat the Squeeze: Equalize Like a Pro

Early and often means every 2' for the first 20-30', starting at the surface.
If you can't equalize on the surface, don't even bother going into the water. You'll just hurt yourself.
Look up (not down) > helps stretch the Eustachian canal. Tilt the affected ear up > same help. Thrust the lower jaw out > more stretch. You can practice with all of these out of the water. Land practice can help a lot if you can do it.

If after some reading and practice you still can't clear on land, time to see an ENT.

Welcome to ScubaBoard Presley.

Seen this one?
Beat the Squeeze: Equalize Like a Pro

Early and often means every 2' for the first 20-30', starting at the surface.
If you can't equalize on the surface, don't even bother going into the water. You'll just hurt yourself.
Look up (not down) > helps stretch the Eustachian canal. Tilt the affected ear up > same help. Thrust the lower jaw out > more stretch. You can practice with all of these out of the water. Land practice can help a lot if you can do it.

If after some reading and practice you still can't clear on land, time to see an ENT.
Thank you so much! I will definitely look into some ways to practice above water. That other page is also very helpful!

Welcome to Scubaboard, Presley. If you find at some point in time that you'd like to change your Scubaboard user name to a nickname, here's where you can do that:

Username Change Requests

You can practice with all of these out of the water. Land practice can help a lot if you can do it.

I try to do these regularly, at least on my way to the dive site.

I would do this anyway, as your ears are so important (and fragile).

And welcome to ScubaBoard!

1) check with your doctor
2) try to flush your sinus the night before: it really helps

As others have said, equalizing often helps a lot. For me, on my descent, i equalize with each breath. Basically inhale, equalize, exhale, repeat. I’ve gotten used to it to the point that I often don’t have to pinch my nose, I can kind of add extra pressure during my exhale an equalize on my own!

Back
Top Bottom