Equinox Housing for Canon HV30

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

These try to show how the monitor back mounting screws contact the camcorder mounting plate and the resulting failure to seal the back plate to the housing O-Ring.

This is not super-obvious when you think you are sealing the unit, but the gap can be seen between the housing and the monitor back when you place bright paper (in this case hot pink) behind the unit in profile view. You can continue to see the pink paper where there should be a seal of the back plate to the O-ring.

This will all show better in video. Which will be placed elsewhere online for all to see, since there is not an easy way to post video here. If there is a way to place video here, would someone please advise me? I will post the URLs of the videos assuming that is not in violation of the ToS.

Note that Mike from Dive Right In Scuba has physically examined this housing and camera, and has posted his observations. Of course, attempts were made to discredit him too, but he is the most ethical and trustworthy scuba person I know, and why I sought his opinion.

Meanwhile I have received an email from another Equinox housing user that has shared a similar horror story with me. His story more involves sending his failed equipment in to Equinox, waiting many weeks, and having to threaten legal action only to receive some of his equipment back. Forgive me if I may paraphrase his experience incorrectly. I have urged him to post his story, and I hope you get the opportunity to also hear it from him. Dont take my word, remember, I am a major misrepresenter!

Look for "Bubba's" post hopefully soon.

Bruce

Attachments

• Monitor Back Screws hitting Cam Mount Plate 1.JPG
    Monitor Back Screws hitting Cam Mount Plate 1.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 75
  • Monitor Back Screws hitting Cam Mount Plate 2.JPG
    Monitor Back Screws hitting Cam Mount Plate 2.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 74
  • Unsealed Gap Between Housing and Rear Plate1.JPG
    Unsealed Gap Between Housing and Rear Plate1.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 76
  • Unsealed Gap Between Housing and Rear Plate 2.JPG
    Unsealed Gap Between Housing and Rear Plate 2.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 77
I must first state that I have no issue with B&H, although I will remark that the customer service representative's responses within this blog string are less than professional. As someone who has worked previously in customer service, one should never treat a customer in the way that they have here in this public forum. Regardless of whether comments from a customer are considered personal insults, a customer service agent should NEVER respond in kind, especially in public. The customer may or may not be right, but there is no license or reason for a business or their representative to verbally, and personally, attack a customer.

As Bruce has alluded, I have also experienced poor customer service from Equinox. I have been patient, professional, and respectful throughout my dealings with them and feel that I have not received the same in return. I did not experience catastrophic failure with my unit as Bruce did. However, I did experience problems with my unit that constituted manufacturer's defects that, as of this date, have not been resolved despite multiple contacts.

Upon first assembling the unit I noticed a small irregularity in the forward globe lens. After using a lens cloth to try and wipe the small white bit from the glass from the inside and outside, it appeared that the irregularity was within the glass. It did not appear to be a scratch or divot, but seemed to be within the glass itself. It was somewhat inconspicuous to the naked eye, but was very evident in recorded images taken in bright light, especially since it was an HD camera.

Additionally, I encountered several problems associated with the aft mounted LCD screen. At first, I was unable to adequately adjust the brightness after attaching the camera to the unit. I passed it off that it would be better to have it brighter when submerged than two dark and decided to use it as it was. However, once I was down, the screen began to "blink out" randomly while I was diving. Upon surfacing, I inspected every part of the unit including connections, potential interference with controls, timeout settings on the camera, etc. The battery for the LCD had charged for a full 12 hours before use so that didn't seem to be a problem. The connections for the camera seemed to work fine when connected to a TV in the dive lodge so it seems that the problem must be in the housing electronics.

Lastly, after my first dive I returned to the surface and placed the housing in the padded container containing fresh water that I had brought along. After transiting to the next site and awaiting our surface interval, my dive partner was looking at the housing and asked how long I had been using it. When I told him this was my first time he expressed surprise and pointed out the surface rust on the 4 screws securing the rubber screen shade for the LCD. This was quite disappointing to me as I would not have expected that anyting less than a non-corrosive fastener be used for this purpose. Moreover, I would never have expected corrosion to appear after the first dive. Upon returing to the lodge I cleaned the screws as completely as possible and applied silicone grease in an attempt to mitigate any further corrosion.

Due to the problems with the rear mounted LCD, I found myself spending most of the time looking around it at the screen on my camera inside the housing during the following dives. My last two dives I didn't even use the connection equipment or the rear LCD as a result.

On March 11, 2008, less than 24 hours after returning from my dive trip in Honduras and less than a month from receiving the unit, I contacted Equinox by email to see about getting warranty repairs done. Three days later after no reply, I resent the email with the return receipt feature. I received a one sentence reply 4 days after that from the customer service rep that I had initially worked with promising that he would respond to all the concerns and issues as soon as possible. After additional attempts to contact Equinox and the customer service rep I was working with, on April 14, 2008, tired of waiting for a response I sent the unit back with instructions requesting warranty repair on the items concerned. Note: I did not ask for a refund on the equipment - I enjoyed using the unit and wanted to keep it - I just wanted the problems fixed.

On July 30, 2008, after additional attempts to contact Equnox and little more than one sentence responses, UPS delivered a box from the Housings Department of Soupcan, Inc. containing the Equinox 6 housing unit I had previously returned for warranty repairs. The unit arrived with the following problems:

1. The unit was inadequately packed with a minimal amount of packing peanuts and loosely bound within the box. Fortunately, there is no obvious damage, but there is no way to know for sure. I would expect that warranty servicing would receive no less care than the original unit when it is shipped new and certainly no less care than when I returned it for repairs.
2. No packing receipt was included indicating what parts had been replaced, repaired, or otherwise provided. Nor was any report provided as to what repair or service had actually been done.
3. Various parts had been packed into the interior of the housing with no indication as to what they were for. Items included:
a. Eight ¼” Philips head sheet metal screws
b. Battery Pack
c. Camera connection wiring
d. Backplate battery-screen connection
e. A spare (original?) globe lens for the front plate
f. A loose digital screen (original?)
g. Two O-rings for the front and rear seals (I know these were originals because they were vacuum sealed in the packaging I sent previously)
4. NO BACKPLATE was provided with the unit, rendering the unit WORTHLESS!

I was more than patient in this process giving Equinox the benefit of the doubt at every opportunity. I have also been clear about what repairs were necessary and what actions seemed reasonable. At the moment, I have a pile of parts that I cannot use even if I wanted to because a critical piece (the entire backplate) is missing. All I asked was that Equinox make this right and honor their warranty and instead I received a pile of parts and a non-functional unit.

Following this frustration, I became suspicious and began to research any other instances where people had problems with Wet N Rugged Sports, Equinox, or Soupcan, Inc. and came across Bruce's post and another post on a different blog that indicated similar problems. Additionally, I found the following reports on the Better Business Bureau's website:

Grand Rapids, MI: Check Out a Business or Charity

Grand Rapids, MI: Check Out a Business or Charity

BBB lists that Equinox is no longer in business, which explains why I received my unit back from a different company than I ordered it from - which, in itself, raises questions as to why the company was re-incorporated under a new name and, if so, why the Equinox website is listed in the banner next to what I'm typing. However, I was instantly concerned by the fact that they had received an UNSATISFACTORY rating from the BBB because of their unwillingness to respond to complaints.

In any event, customer service - with any business - should not be this difficult. And warranties are a promise from the business that, within reason, they will strive to ensure that customers are treated in a fair, timely, and respecful way. I think that in both Bruce's case and my case, that has not been so.

Alfred Lee "Bubba" Cook Jr.

You then chose to stoop to personal invective with "Henry, are you a certified diver? Underwater videographer? Ever see an Equinox housing other than in a picture on a website? Ever touch one? Put one together? Use one underwater? I am sure you will say you have, and fairly certain as well that will be untrue like many of your other statements so far." So far you're the only one in this conversation who's felt the need to make disparaging and insulting personal comments. But oddly again you did not answer those questions.
Bruce

Yes, I did, in a post which has apparently been edited or deleted by the moderator, whose intervention is appreciated. I said frankly and unequivocally I am not a diver at all, certified or otherwise.

Equinox said they'd stand behind their warranties for the Equinox products you purchased. The Sagemax warranty provides a replacement for the camcorder. For reasons which remain obscure (and to me personally defy logic) you seem unwilling to avail yourself of this ready solution.

We feel we have done everything possible to take care of this customer but it is now in our opinion the customer does not want this matter resolved...this thread is no longer productive in resolving this issue... It is honestly a shame this wonderful resource to divers is being diluted with this...
I must agree with you, Sam. Thanks for putting it so succinctly.

I ask six questions, you answer one, and continue to argue that you had answered my questions. Fairly typical of your logic. You stated you were not a diver. That covers one of the six questions. OK, maybe I could give you three of six if one assumes that since you are not a certified diver you are also not an underwater videographer nor have used this kit underwater. I am a little gun shy about making such an assumption because of your ever feared "so certain and so wrong" reply.

So would you mind answering the remaining questions in the quoted post? I think it is important to establish at least some degree of credibility with us divers if you had such experiences before this thread began. If not before, at least as a result of the thread so you might have some knowledge of the specific equipment in question as you try to "continue to assist me". I would think this is the least divers should expect from the B&H rep on diver specific forums.

I didn't see your apology for calling me a liar, oh sorry I think you used the personal attack-avoiding version "misrepresentation" regarding the Equinox email issues. You misrepresented the situation I corrected you accurately, so I believe an apology is in line and should not need to be requested.

I also did not see any response to why B&H has refused to issue RMAs for the non-submerged equipment in direct contradiction of the T&Cs they insist that I honor. Maybe they will send me the new T&Cs for those tomorrow?

Equinox said they'd stand behind their warranties for the Equinox products you purchased. The Sagemax warranty provides a replacement for the camcorder. For reasons which remain obscure (and to me personally defy logic) you seem unwilling to avail yourself of this ready solution.

What part of me not willing to accept any costs due to the faulty equipment you sold me is it that you do not understand? I do not want the camera repaired and the housing replaced unless someone is going to compensate me for the difference in price from when I bought it to when I can now use it. That or replace the Bahamas trip. This kit has already been lowered in price, yet I paid the higher price for equipment I can still not use. The price is likely to be lower yet by next year’s dive trip.

Not being a diver, I guess you do not understand that many of us work all year for a single dive trip annually. Adding $3000 to that for underwater video equipment this year had a reasonable expectation of that equipment actually being usable. B&H and Equinox partially ruined my trip this year. What was lost is irreplaceable. What could have been done is for me not to be asked to bear the obsolescence costs. That option has expired.

Simplest is to refund my money completely. I will not go down the Sagemax path until every other option is fully explored by my attorney. If I make a claim, I can not request a refund for the insurance. That is a last resort that I have been advised is a highly unlikely alternative. You will see.

What defies logic is that this is now at least the third time I have explained this to you and you still don’t get it. Using Sam’s logic, you must not want to?

Spare yourselves further embarrassment of posts telling of required full refunds plus costs and damages and just take all this stuff back. If it all is so wonderful, certainly you won't mind having it all back.

Sam, if you are reading, my shipping to you will have to wait until I have my attorney check with the Better Business Bureau. I have no intent of adding issues similar to Bubba's above to this already ridiculous situation.

I pay, your collective stuff does not work, and I am screwed. This is Equinox and B&H idea of doing "everything possible to take care of this customer". I guess the "take care of" quote from Sam posted above by Henry must be more the phrase usage from a Capone movie.

Bubba, thanks for following up with the detailed post of your story. The BBB listings are also appreciated. Might you post what is listed for:

Soupcan Inc.
8418 E. Michigan Ave.
Galesburg, MI 49053

Sam, which company is my Housing officially from? B&H sent me to WetNRugged, you informed me that was the wrong one, that it was Equinox, but now you are listed as Soupcan. Can you please advise?

ScubaBoard, if Equinox is apparently no longer in business and has an unsatisfactory BBB rating for not responding to customer issues, how are they a sponsor?

Bruce

ScubaBoard, if Equinox is apparently no longer in business and has an unsatisfactory BBB rating for not responding to customer issues, how are they a sponsor?

Bruce

Bruce,

Soupcan Inc. is the corporation. Equinox Housings are the product.

Howard,

They may be reincorporated as Soupcan, Inc., but Equinox is not just a product, but a BUSINESS, indeed a Limited Liability Company (aka Corporation) listed at the same address that Soupcan, Inc. now is listed.

Equinox Underwater Products L.L.C.
8418 E Michigan Ave
Galesburg, MI 49053-9752
Website: Equinox Underwater Video Housings for Sony, Canon and Panasonic cameras - by WNRS
Original Business Start Date: January 1998
Principal: Ms. Kristen Maxwell, Office Manager

Thus, given that I sent my unit back for warranty servicing to Wet N Rugged/Equinox and received it back from Soupcan, Inc., I can only conclude that they have reincorporated for reasons they have failed to make public. This raises suspicions to me given the BBB's negative assessment of Equinox. It should also raise suspicions with you and other purveyors of dive related equipment from this business.

Thanks,
Bubba

Just to be clear, the poor customer service that Bruce and I have experienced with Equinox are not isolated incidents.

From: DV Info Net -- Introduction (GL2 Underwater [Archive] - The Digital Video Information Network)

Chris C. Corfield July 30th, 2006, 10:02 PM
As a note to this thread. As i stated I purchased a GL2 housing from Equinox at the beginning of February. After three months and countless empty promises later, my housing shipped. Gleefull was I, until I opened the box. The housing arrived, with all the extra controls I ordered, but the wrong arms and no LCD. More time goes by and my arms ship, again no LCD. Blame suppliers or misfunctioning LCDs, but it finally shipped Tuesday. I finally tried the housing yesterday, minus LCD, in the local quarry. I had enough waiting. But be forewarned, remove the 6.5 LB weight for fresh water. Instead add a 2lb weight for 60-100' dives and a 3lb for less than. With the 6.5 lb it was so negative you plumit to the bottom. With 2lbs on my dives today, 80' approx, it was slightly positive (no arms or lights), very easy to dive with. I haveto say their product is great, but their customer service is terrible, especially for such an expensive, limited market.

Chris

To whom it may concern:

My name is E. Richards, and I am the owner of Soupcan Inc. dba. Wet N Rugged Sports. I own a company that does 2 different things; one is a dive store and the other, we manufacture underwater housings and other communications systems for professional and sport divers.

Myself and 2 employees worked for Equinox Underwater Products, LLC., Equinox Underwater Products, LLC. closed its doors in 2006, myself and the 2 other employees were out on our own with families to feed so we decided to build underwater housings and other communication equipment for the underwater video and communication industry because that is what we knew. We have several products and a few are listed below:

"Equinox Pro6" "Equinox HD6" "DRS" (diver recall system), Xchaser, etc. (only 6 products carry equinox in the name of our over 30.)

We are not Equinox Underwater Products, LLC. and in no way have tried to represent ourselves as that company. I took a product that they made and gathered ideas and inspiration from it and have built my own. The original design is not patent or able to be patent, (its a tube with 2 end plates) and no items were proprietary. I have built my own mold for the BRS system (or wings as people like to call them) and have made contact with their old venders to get like products. While I was there, myself and the other employees gained valuable knowledge in how to make waterproof casings for cameras and have used that in our new business.

I felt if a company that made these products was run correctly it could be successful and I was right, we are providing many many units a month to many satisfied customers and I apologize if there are unsatisfied customers out there that feel they have not been treated correctly...we are experiencing growing pains and are working these issues out. I hope this helps in understanding who I am and what Soupcan Inc. does.

Please visit Wet n Rugged - SCUBA, Kayaks, Travel, Underwater Photo for all your scuba needs, our online store will be active within 2 weeks! :D

In regards to the 2 open issues on this board:

1) Bruce D. I think Sam has stated everything correctly on our behalf. We said we would honor our 3 year warranty....and until 2 days ago we did not know for sure if there were any warranty issue because we had no proof, only word of mouth. I wish Bruce would have sent us those pictures a month ago like we asked, that would have eliminated half of the arguing on this board.
We are in a holding pattern now waiting for Bruce, we have a warranty file open on him and we have done everything we can do....I feel we have meet our responsibility to our customer in the case of a warranty.

2) Alfred E. Cook Jr.

After reviewing Mr. Cook's file, I can admit we totally dropped the ball and the turn around time and process for his warranty repair was flawed. Since that time I feel we have full-filled his warranty request. From Mr. Cooks order we have changed some of our processes to serve our customers better.

Please see below the email correspondence between Sam and Mr. Cook.
Mr. Cook,

Sorry for the delay in getting back with you, see the answers below in red in response to your questions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2008 10:18 PM
To: sales@equinoxhousings.com;
Subject: Equinox 6 - 012808AC/TJ
Importance: High

To whom it may concern:

On July 30, 2008, UPS delivered a box from the Housings Department of Soupcan, Inc. containing an Equinox 6 housing unit I had previously returned on May 19, 2008, for warranty repairs. The unit arrived with the following problems:

1. The unit was inadequately packed with a minimal amount of packing peanuts and loosely bound within the box. Fortunately, there is no obvious damage, but there is no way to know for sure. I would expect that warranty servicing would receive no less care than the original unit when it is shipped new and certainly no less care than when I returned it to you for repairs. I can not comment on the pack job, I did not see how it was packed. I do know our local ups rep tells us we have to pack with puffies because if there is an insurance issue ups will not cover any loss.

2. No packing receipt was included indicating what parts had been replaced, repaired, or otherwise provided. Nor was any report provided as to what repair or service had actually been done. Our apologies please note that our lack of quality response has caused us to design a new warranty/repair form to make sure customer needs get taken care of properly.

3. Various parts had been packed into the interior of the housing with no indication as to what they were for. Items included:

a. Eight ¼” Philips head sheet metal screws (extra SS screws for your rear plate lcd shade, we did have a problem with a Chinese supplier a while back that was sending screws and clamps as SS and in actuality they were not, we have told any customers that have an issue we will replace all parts for at no charge. )

b. Battery Pack (for you existing monitor)

c. Camera connection wiring (for your existing monitor)

d. Backplate battery-screen connection (for your existing monitor)

e. A spare (original?) globe lens for the front plate Installed was a new dome for you, the loose one was going to be thrown out but we thought it was nice gesture to offer it to you as a last resort back up if you were on remote location and something happened to your new one.

f. A loose digital screen (original?) (New, lcd tested to be in fine working condition)

g. Two O-rings for the front and rear seals (I know these were originals because they were vacuum sealed in the packaging I sent previously) These were originals in perfect working order, you did not ask for these to be replaced.

4. NO BACKPLATE was provided with the unit, rendering the unit WORTHLESS! Our mistake and a rear lcd monitor back plate is on its way to you, and for your inconvenience we have also sent a clear rear plate as well so you can decide on how you would like to shoot your video. my apologies.

I have been more than patient in this process as indicated in the timeline of the attached emails. I have also been clear about what repairs were necessary and what actions I saw as reasonable. At the moment, I have a pile of parts that I cannot use even if I wanted to because a critical piece (the entire backplate) is missing. All I ask is that you make this right. At this time, please provide a return label and invoice for the electronics associated with the original video monitor backplate. In lieu of this return, please provide the standard clear backplate as a replacement so that I may have a fully functional unit. Please respond as soon as possible. We have no problem making this right for you, we stand behind our warranty and have replaced and dealt with all items both parties have found defective.

I apologize for the delay in getting your warranty handled in a timely manner, like I said, for your inconvenience I have given you a $95.00 extra rear plate to go with your existing plate. I appreciate your fine comments from your original letter, "First, I'd like to again say thanks for all the effort you put into getting me the dive housing and camera in time" Alfred Cook
We appreciate when a customer notes our effort to meet deadlines when originally they could not have been met through the standard channels.

"Again, thanks for all your help! Apart from these minor problems, I very much enjoyed the use of this product!" Alfred Cook
We are always in a refining process to make our products better and thank you for your understanding.

As a growing company we are working through "growing pains" and unfortunately at times not all things get handled at a level acceptable to our customers for this we apologize and offered that gift to you. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to help.

I think it should also be fairly noted that our sales people went above and beyond in regards to Mr. Cooks order; we were ordering cameras, shipping hard drives, shipping multiple shipments, getting rma #'s from amazon.com and shipping back stuff to them (what mfg. does this?!?, no one but us!) We did all this and still met his deadline. We work hard at our business and for our customers and our customers deserve the best, but sometimes it frustrates me that when a customer has a problem they have no problem telling the world, but conveniently forget all the extra stuff we did for them.

Since I opened Soupcan Inc. I would be happy to stack our customer service record against any other mfg.

I felt we have dealt with the issues at hand, and if anyone has any questions they can call me directly.

E. Richards on Sam Gates account.

Mr. Richards-

Kudos to you for getting the right thing done for Bubba. I am not going to argue with you, as you (and most the time Sam) seem to really want to do the right thing.

Please don't dwell on why I have not yet sent the housing back. Asked and answered. I do not seek a repaired or replaced housing. I bought $3000 worth of products, the majority of which were ruined by your faulty housing. I do not want a replacement camera that will be one year old by the time of my next dive trip. I want ALL my money back. The housing was purchased as a kit from B&H and will likely need to be reimbursed as that kit (by B&H).

My attorney would not allow me to return anything until all avenues were researched, properly documented, and proper assurances and receipts in writing. Formally, these processes are in progress, and presentation to the defendant parties is expected shortly. I assume you know that with attorneys, their "shortly" is not necessarily the same as my or your "shortly".

Unfortunately at this point we will be requesting reimbursement of actual product costs, delivery costs, insurance costs, legal expenses, plus damages. This will now cost B&H and Soupcan much more than the original request to simply refund my money.

I did not want it to go this route. The amount of time I have spent on this issue is just plain wrong, but I am assured it will be compensated in the damages request.

You work that out with B&H and you could walk away with a double win here. Get Henry from B&H to stop hiding behind email, and let's have 3-way telephone discussion to resolve this. I had several alternative solutions prepared to discuss, but Henry from B&H never called.

I hope you will be of as much assistance in resolving my real issue as you were in satisfying Bubba.

If you care to talk privately, I am happy to accommodate with reasonable notice.

regards & thanks again for resolving Bubba's issues-
Bruce DeDivitis

Back
Top Bottom