Equipment and Aging Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JCR

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I recently joined the board after a 13 year hiatus from diving. I am now going on 65 and after a heart attack 3 years ago, I am looking for any edge I can get in the water (only going to do warm water vacation diver, 2-3 times a year). I am doing all the stress tests etc.. to ensure I am healthy enough to dive, but based on past stress tests, I am fine. However, in thinking about this it seems that some equipment choices might result in less effort or provide some efficiency that make a difference for aging divers but maybe not for others. Is there any merit to this? Maybe I am just looking for an excuse to refresh my old equipment, but seems as if an efficient regulator, efficent fins, and a bc/bpw that is non constricting might provide some very slight edge?

Thanks
JR

HP steel cylinders can make a significant difference. If you have old steel 72 CF cylinders they are not too bad but they still et out heavier.

A nice laminate drysuit can also be less stressful than a boat load of went neoprene.

Pete

I will never own my own tanks since we plan to travel to warm water destinations where a laminated dry suit would only complicate the spouse's hot flashes. If I were diving elsewhere, these would be issues, but for warm water travel diving, I am looking for regulator, bcd, and fin improvements. THANKS

...you're gonna have try poking around in the 'equipment' forums...where you can read/search/research to your heart's contact all about regs....fins....BC's...too much to rehash here.

Investigate the following...

Force Fins - Once you get used to them, they are effortless. They take a lot of strain of your legs and allow nice, gentle diving.

Spring Straps - Far easier to get your fins on and off...and more secure hold when diving. Basically...a steel spring, rather than a rubber strap for your fins.

Dive Computer - may have advanced considerably since you last dived. If you are recovering from poor health, you should use a computer that allows for varied degrees of conservatism.

Regulator - Unless you really need top performance, then most regulators will serve your needs. Purchase according to your budget. A lighter weight regulator will need less grip power to stay in your mouth.

Fitted Mouthpiece - Like a boxer's gumshield, you can now buy regulator mouthpieces that you soak in hot water and mold to fit your mouth. Very comfortable and less jaw strain.

Wetsuit - There are some new, flexible, materials available now. I like my Scubapro Everflex 3mm, because it is easy to don and doff..and I forget I am wearing it in the water.

BCD - Designs of Wing & Backplate are popular now...lightweight, better trim and less encumbering around the torso. If mobility is an issue, get some releases fitted to the harness. A steel backplate allows weight to be removed from the weightbelt also.

However, in thinking about this it seems that some equipment choices might result in less effort or provide some efficiency that make a difference for aging divers but maybe not for others. Is there any merit to this? Maybe I am just looking for an excuse to refresh my old equipment, but seems as if an efficient regulator, efficent fins, and a bc/bpw that is non constricting might provide some very slight edge?

Feel free to refresh your equipment if you want to, however you should know that not everything has improved and some things have gotten worse. I have an old SCUBAPro MK1 that breathes like a dream, and has all metal parts. The new SP regs are mostly plastic, except for a "Vintage" model they just released. If you don't buy new, I'd certainly get your old reg completely torn down and serviced, including replacing any plastic/rubber/worn/damaged parts.

Your BC should be checked. It's entirely possible that it's dried up and cracked and has or will have leaks, and should be replaced.

You don't need a computer to dive, although if you get one and look at your profile when you get back home, the places that need improvement will be embarrassingly obvious. My computer is what got me to really take a look at my ascent rates.

SCUBAPro split fins are easier on my joints than rigid fins.

Fortunately (or unfortunately :D) the biggest changes you can make to make things easier are behavioral, not equipment.

• Choose your dives more carefully, and try not to put yourself in a position where superhuman effort is required.
  • If you lose the up-line, get blown off the wreck and are drifting away from the boat, you can signal them with an air horn and SMB and wait for pickup,instead of trying to swim against the current for an extended period.
  • Really work on getting your weighting correct and your trim horizontal (without needing to move your hands). This makes a huge difference.
  • Relax. No matter how fast you fin, the only think you'll reach is the end of the dive. Slower is easier, makes your air last longer and doesn't scare off the fish as much.
  • Ask for help. I'm only 52, but on days when the weather is changing and the arthritis in my ankle kicks up, I ask my buddy or a deck hand for help with the tanks.
  • A BP/W won't be any more "efficient" than a jacket, assuming you're weighted correctly. However, along those lines, carrying less unnecessary stuff and properly stowing the stuff you do need will make a huge difference.
  • Learn to do slow ascents, and extremely slow ascents for the last 30', and especially for the last 15'. This will make a huge difference in how you feel after the dive and for the next dive (if you do more than one).
  • Stay well hydrated. If you can switch to a drysuit, get a pee valve. This makes almost as much difference as the slow ascents.
  • Switch to Nitrox. There is anecdotal evidence that it helps make people feel better after the dive. Personally, I think it just covers up too-fast ascents, but it does seem to help.
Anyway, have fun!

Terry

These are very useful replies ... Assuming that an aging diver is in reasonable physical condition, it may be that there are only a few equipment issues that may make some difference. I can see fins maybe making more difference than say a regulator, given that what I read about regulators suggests that most are relatively easy breathers and so cost and service become more issues than actual technical differences that affect the diving experience.

I have browsed the equipment forms and visited three LDS with my spouse looking at what is new. She compared a titanium to a brass/steel regulator and said, "If I am going to carry this thing through airports, then I want the lightest one possible, I don't care how much it costs." She might not have said that a few years ago, but weight, how easy it is to pack, mouth comfort, as well as reliability and durability are important to her now. Those are things that are probably important for those in other age brackets too.

So, maybe the behavioral issues are more important than the equipment issues. However, I just wanted to draw on the experience of others with more recent dive experience to see if there are particular items that contribute to more efficient diving for those of us over 50....

Thanks
JR

Interestingly enough, at 64 I am still an active diver who recently decided it was time to start using a dive computer. I've been diving since 1962 so it was about time, i guess. To make a long story short, I went to my LDS to spend my retirement gift "wisely". I had decided on the Sherwood Wisdom 2 so I said let's have a go at it. The shop owner (who I trust implicitly) looked over my reg setup and politely told me the my Blizzard (over 25 years old but still ticking) was fine - if I was in my 20's. My octopus was from the early 70's and he couldn't get parts for it any more. I was asked why I wanted to put a $1200 computer on a $120 regulator? All that boiled down to realizing that sentiment was no substitute for safety. Some things DO belong in a museum. Net result - new Sherwood SR1, Wisdom 2, and Octo. What a way to start my retirement! I feel more comfortable, my diving seems easier, and I am certainly more relaxed. Unfortunately, my buddy still needs to help me get my fins on over my dry suit boots - but what the heck - that's why we have buddies!

Stay active - stay wet - enjoy the golden moments

Neil :)

Feel free to refresh your equipment if you want to, however you should know that not everything has improved and some things have gotten worse. I have an old SCUBAPro MK1 that breathes like a dream, and has all metal parts. The new SP regs are mostly plastic, except for a "Vintage" model they just released. If you don't buy new, I'd certainly get your old reg completely torn down and serviced, including replacing any plastic/rubber/worn/damaged parts.

Your BC should be checked. It's entirely possible that it's dried up and cracked and has or will have leaks, and should be replaced.

You don't need a computer to dive, although if you get one and look at your profile when you get back home, the places that need improvement will be embarrassingly obvious. My computer is what got me to really take a look at my ascent rates.

Ditto, ditto. And double for the behavior mods.

With the exception of computers, gear has not improved appreciably in the last ten years. Perhaps look at split fins if you don't have them already. Despite the panning they get from the tech crowd they are much easier on the joints. Certainly have your regs evaluated and either serviced or replaced. You don't need to spend big money if you decide to buy new. Everything sold is adequate for shallow warm water diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom