Equipment Compatibility

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ThePipingSheriff

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I currently have a Seaquest Pro QD BC. It has the standard power inflator. I was looking at purchasing an Airsource 3 and was wondering if it will fit on this BC. I was wondering if anyone might suggest an alternative to the Airsource 3 or is this my best bet.

Many thanks!

Many people with in-line inflator/regulator combinations find that they're difficult to use. Being on a somewhat stiff and fairly short hose may make getting it into your mouth cumbersome. If your BC doesn't have any other dumps (it may, I'm not sure), compound that with the necessity to stop breathing in order to dump effectively.

So I guess my advice is this: try before you buy. You may prefer a standard reg-on-a-hose setup.

I agree. Leave the inflator as t is. Get an independent alternate second stage. Get one of the same brand as your existing regulator to simplify service.

Here are some old thoughts on the topic.

Pete

IMHO I want my "emergency" regulator to be as good or pretty darn good in an "emergency" as my primary regulator. Nothing brings on panic like a poor breathing device in an emergency where breathing is already a major concern. My first octo was one of those tiny little slim things and when I tried to use it on a safety stop just to see how it breathed I almost drowned. People will tell you that their air source or cheap $59 octo breathes as well as their $400 regulator. When the crap hits the fan do you want to be the one to prove them right? I don't. (and I have breathed from these things and wasn't happy about it)

To answer your question, I have a Seaquest Latitude and an Airsource 3. The Airsource 3 will fit the Sequest BC no problems. The Airsource 3 will connect to a Seaquest BC with no adapter. The Airsource 3 is a balanced reg that does breath very well. I have tried it on a safety stop and it breaths similar to my primary reg. I also have a Zeagle Stiletto which did require an adapter for the airsource 3. I also have a Hollis 321 balanced Octo which breathes very well too. The Airsource 3 will reduce your LP hoses needed. There are a lot of threads that blast using any alternate air source and LP inflater combination. Try both and decide for yourself. I think both have their advantages and disadvantages. Either way the airsource 3 is a good reg, all things considered if you look at the specs it breathes as good as some first regulators. Again it is what you like, it is your decision.

People will tell you that their air source or cheap $59 octo breathes as well as their $400 regulator. When the crap hits the fan do you want to be the one to prove them right?

Better that than proving them wrong :D

I have tried it on a safety stop and it breaths similar to my primary reg.

How does it breathe at depth?

I use mostly ScubaPro S600 regs, but have an R390 "octo second stageg" on one of my deco regs. I totally notice the difference in breathing quality going from backgas to deco gas (even at 20 feet when I'm not going from helium to non-helium).

"Quick!!! We only have 20 seconds to drive out of here before the whole place collapses on us! Do you want to take my Ferrari or my Hyundai?"

The above and actual quote was taken from a recent action film. Seriously, it was. No, really. ...I didn't make it up. :wink:

My real concern with using an air source in an emergency isn't even the breathing quality, it's having a diver who at any moment may try to drown me and could blow into irrational panic only inches away from my face, at an angle where I can't see them, after I give him/her my short hose. If I am going to deal with a person who is acting like a drowning cat then I want a little distance between the two of us. Why set yourself up for failure before you even get to the failure point?

I was wondering if anyone might suggest an alternative to the Airsource 3 or is this my best bet.

An Airsource/Air2 type integrated LPI/Octo is like one of those little donut spare tires: both seem like a really good idea...right up until the point you actually need to use them for their intended purpose.

:shocked2:

Better that than proving them wrong :D

How does it breathe at depth?

I use mostly ScubaPro S600 regs, but have an R390 "octo second stageg" on one of my deco regs. I totally notice the difference in breathing quality going from backgas to deco gas (even at 20 feet when I'm not going from helium to non-helium).

Don't know about trimix, don't have any experience with Deco gas, back Gas any of that. I do know that the Airsource 3 appears to do what I need. While I understand your need for a Ferrari, my Lincoln does fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom