Equipment Exchange

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jepuskar once bubbled...
It is meant to be a comfort skill and a problem solving skill.

Bingo!!!....I see zero purpose for this skill other than that.....

Bail-outs are in the same boat so to speak, but it is slightly more conceivable than a need to exchange equipment.

You've just completed the most *FUN* skill in the DM program =-)

I get to play buddy for a friend that has to do it soon... Kind of looking forward to it.

- Atticus

I have my 400yrd swim to do, just have to finish it.

I am doing a scuba review tonight with some divers, have my emergency assistance plan to do, rescue assessment, one more confined water dive helping students, certified divers in open water (harrassment dive) and thats all.

Should be done by next week!

Hey, you got two more skills to do...swim without mask and air depletion exercise. (20 not 18 skills) Tell your instructor to read his updates.

When I did it, I was wearing an integrated jacket BC (Large) over a tshirt & swimsuit

My budy was in an older hardpack BC (small - the rainbow vest stile with the thick, plastic backplate).

The instructor was in a Zegal ranger (Large)

We got in the pool and the instructor motioned to swap with me so we did, no problem. Even though I had never had his Zegal on before, I was able to figure out the straps and stuff prety quick.

Then he motioned me and my buddy to swap...

Well, I was able to get into the small BC with a little wiggling (don't know if I could have done it on dry land without help...). Only having 1 waist buckle and a keeper on the console it was prety simple.

My buddy was swiming around in that large, strap/flap covered Zegal, occationaly looking out through the openings... :wink:

He got it on OK but it took a while to get it straightened out.

Last, we all swapped back at once, round robin stile... There were others there watching us in case anything went wrong.

The instructor wanted to be sure we were comfortable enough to handle unfamiliar, ill fitting equipment and I thought we did prety good.

The mask, snorkle, fin ditch/don was the only hard part.

Swiming down, removing everything and surfacing was easy. going back and putting it all on AND clearing the mask before surfacing was a bit rough.

I found doing the full gear ditch/don with a regulator available to be trivial in comparison.

Or at least a slight variation on the theme. Some points of penetration are too small for you and your gear together, being comfortable without it, and being able to get it off and on sure helps. The other thought that comes to mind is entanglement, it's sometimes easier to remove the scuba unit to be able to free it, having your buddy watch at a safe distance, lest he become entangled with you, and then offer help when the hazzard is cleared, or reasonably safe to do so.

You know you have it down pat when you can swap wetsuits too,

Darlene

thingy...

But, it wasn't stressfull, it was more awkward and amusing.

I didn't really think much about the purpose of the skill, more of just how amusing it was. More like a drill on how to make myself look completely silly underwater.

I suppose it makes sense to build confidence and calm under stressful situations, but, that is not what I'd call a stressful situation. It makes for fun stories though.

That was probably because you were already a divegod and nothing phased you in the water :)

For some people with less confidence in the water, this can be stressfull. My buddy was ultra panicky all the way through and I had to keep giving her the reg so she wouldn't bolt to the surface of the pool! (even though I hadn't had my 2 breaths), to help her out otherwise we'd never have got it finished cos she kept shooting to the top!

It's a very good sign that you didn't find it difficult. :)

Back
Top Bottom