Equipment failure rate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jphehe

Contributor
Reaction score
Given the safety concern (life & death) when underwater, equipment reliability is the ultimate question when we weigh Cost vs Durability.

(yes, provided you always do regular maintenance & safety checks..etc. Leave this out for now)

Is there such industry data to show a manufacturer's product reliability data? especially on BCD and regulators.

I'm just an average consumer and often my only option is to follow the positive user feedback, or a more pricey one.

I have seen one video demonstrating one manufacturing/testing process. That offers some confidence.

Or, is there some compliance certification that may add up to better reliability?

Some brands cost 2x than others but is there any justification in terms of material cost and better design (patent)?

Or maybe I'm just asking too much :shocked2: Any guidelines at all to evaluate if a product is really durable as advertised?

I do not have the data you require. It is my impression that inexpensive gear gives reliable service if it is maintained. Even top of the line gear will fail if it is not maintained.

My wife uses the top of the line atomic regulator. I use a low end one. They both breathe the same. The expensive one is far
iighter. My wife values that. I am happy with mine. I have a top of the lone computer bit I have used some really cheap ones. The both work fine.

As far as safety goes, most injuries happen as a result of a series of mishaps. My wife and I have had some minor gear failures. But none of it was anything that we could not resolve in the water and fix on the surface.

I think that that rather than worrying about gear, I would suggest taking rescue diver, if you have not already. Rescue diver tends to emphasize techniques to keep small problems from killing you.

i believe that lack of training, panic and poor judgement kills far more divers than faulty equipment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom