Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a 5mm, no hood, when I do a cave dive there, and I stay reasonably warm for even a 2-hour dive. I would be cold in a 3mm suit by itself. A hood would make a difference.

As Bogtrotter said, you can rent a 5mm suit if you don't want to pack one. They will provide lights if you don't want to pack them, either.

Thanks Everybody! Now for the important part which cenotes do you recommend?

Dos Ojos
The Pit
Tajma Ha
Chikin Ha
Angelita
Gran cenote
Carwash

Thanks Everybody! Now for the important part which cenotes do you recommend?

I suspect most of the guides will have suggestions, based on your location, and which cenotes you have dived before, if any. For example, if you've never dived a cenote before, the guide might recommend starting with A, then diving B in the afternoon, then the next day heading over to C and D, etc. For the two days of cenote dives I did, my guide had just such a schedule in mind. I think they want to show you the best of what the area has to offer, without taking you needlessly far away from your base. I am sure my guide was flexible enough that I could have said "how about X instead of Y this afternoon?" but since I knew nothing beyond what I had read on SB, I figured I should trust his expertise in choosing sites. After the two days, he mentioned that if I were to come back for more, the next sites he would recommend would be E and F, etc. Unless my guide was unusual, I suspect guides have an order in mind that they believe best suits the typical new-to-cenotes diver, taking into account location/distance.

I think you should check ahead with several operators and find out what their policies are concerning where they do their dives.

A couple years ago I joined a group trip to the Yucatan, a trip that the group does annually. Some of us in the group were doing cave diving, and the rest were doing a combination of open water dives and cenote dives, working through an operator with which the group leaders had contracted for the trip. Each evening we would all get together of cocktails and to discuss the day's events. On a day when most of the group did cenotes, there were some serious complaints. It seemed the operator only did certain cenotes, and there were no options to go anywhere else. People who were veterans of past trips to the area where sick of doing the same cenote each time and begged for a change. It did not happen.

If you are going to dive in any overhead environment, you darn sure better be equipped and trained for it.

Dos Ojos
The Pit
Tajma Ha
Chikin Ha
Angelita
Gran cenote
Carwash

I believe Gran Cenote is no longer open for guided cavern tours for divers with just OW cert. They require now a cert appropriate for the dive (cavern / intro / full), even if it's guided. They will check cards to let you in, and quiz you on what dive you plan to do. Perhaps for the better...

Back
Top Bottom