• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Equipment Insurance

Discussion in 'Advanced Scuba Discussions' started by B Lo, Jun 3, 2010.

1. B Lo

B Lo Nassau Grouper

I had a terrible dream last night that my equipment ended up lost at sea. That said, I am very interested in securing insurance for it. However, a lot of the stuff I've come across has had high deductibles and requires a large minimum premium. All of my equipment may be worth around $2500. For me, if the basic premium covers equipment up to $5000, for instance, I would be paying for coverage I'd never use. Does anyone know of insurance which is geared more towards the diver without tons of money in their equipment?

2. Straegen

Straegen New Fish ScubaBoard Supporter

3. Herk_Man

Herk_Man Solo Diver

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    How about a rider on your homeowner's policy? Like extra insurance for a wedding ring or high dollar piece of art that your regular insurance won't cover.

4. muddiver

muddiver Divemaster

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    State Farm Insurance Personal Property policy. No deductable, covers every event except "Ops, I dropped it over the side!", and it is very reasonable. Ask Dandy Don.

5. onefastpony

onefastpony Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    DAN has a $2500. gear replacement in the event of an accident, I know it is not "full" coverage but you might want to check it out.

6. Jax

Jax Deplorable American ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    +1 on these guys, if you really want to be covered. I was quite disappointed that USAA would not cover us.

7. Quero

Quero Will be missed Rest in Peace ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    I'm posting this on the different insurance threads (in various forums) I've seen recently, so if you see this in various places, my apologies, but I think it's an important issue for those who are shopping for insurance and reading this thread as a result.

Below is the text of an email announcement I received from DEPP concerning changes to my equipment insurance coverage. While I can recognize the validity of the arguments the company has put forth, I'm upset that they are apparently changing the policy that I only paid for last month rather than instituting changes when renewals are due.

I may be in the market for a different insurance company.

8. kuwerty

kuwerty Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Can't speak for h2o but depp charged me around $40 for an entire year. I think I insured around $2000 worth of equip, no camera.