Equipment recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oneshotshooter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Protective helmet that will work with a full face mask and mask with detached regulator. We don't have raging rapids but some light weight noggin protection would be helpful.

Throw bag lines and line gun

A diver role a board system for a diver in full gear to be rolled into a zodiac.

Also on equipment review on wireless com gear specifically
SSB-201 0 Aquacom Diver Transceiver
OTS Aquacom SSB 4-Channel, Surface Station.
Includes Hand Held Mic and Transducet I Cable
OTS Headset, Deluxe with Boom Mic. set up for
STX- I 01 Surface transceiver

Thanks guys!

The problems we have with wireless systems is the transducer needs to be in the same thermal layer as the diver(s) or it doesn't work. So our solution is hardwired.

The surface unit we are looking at has a 35' cable on the transducer so that should drop below the first (most pronounced) thermocline in our area, but this is good info about the wireless having trouble through the thermoclines. By the way what type of wireless were you you using? I guess the buddyphones are .5 watts and the signal strength is weaker than the SSB 2010 which has a 5 watt system. This stronger signal might battle through the thermoclines better (maybe?)...
John

We have the OTS system which is a good system. Except for the radio waves not liking temp changes they are fine. We are switching to hardwire which is already here.

We have the OTS system which is a good system. Except for the radio waves not liking temp changes they are fine. We are switching to hardwire which is already here.

thanks Gary. We have the hardware system and have trouble with it as an entanglement hazard. I heard they are going to be working on a communication safety line that will be buoyant and smaller diameter.

I found the throw lines, we could use a recommendation on a lightweight helmet, and any type of a line gun.

thanks Gary. We have the hardware system and have trouble with it as an entanglement hazard. I heard they are going to be working on a communication safety line that will be buoyant and smaller diameter.

I found the throw lines, we could use a recommendation on a lightweight helmet, and any type of a line gun.

Divers Bump Cap Top Shelf Marine Products

helmet option

Try adding small floats to your line to keep it off the bottom.

As far as line guns, our team has a Mossberg Line Kit which came with a shotgun/launcher combination, two floats, several rounds and the weights and rods for the line. It is the MOSSBERG®#50298 LINE LAUNCHER. A copy of the manual for the line launcher is available at this link: http://www.mossbergs.com/manuals/LineLauncher.pdf. We have not used it since I have been on the team, but the principle seems pretty obvious.

Good Luck!

Rich Rooney

the OTS SSB 2010 wireless setup works pretty good for us so far. BUT.... most of our water isn't really deep enough to worry about Themroclines.

Gary D. has the Dalai-Lama lakes up there:D

We have been using OTS wireless comm gear in our AGA masks for the last 3 years and have been pleased. While you don't get the clarity that you would get from a hard wire setup, it offers us the flexibility that we were looking for. We have the following setuop:
STX-101 with EMA-2
and the STX-101 with the boom mic and head set.
After working with our setup for awhile now we have learned the little things that we need to do and how to position ourselves for optimum performance. BUT,.... as with any equipment, the more you use it the better you become with it.

Johnny Millwood
TCFWSD#1

Back
Top Bottom