eRDPml PADI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmm maybe I don't know what "multi-level" means. The assessment had 1-2 questions that asked for the tables to be used, regarding dives of "x" minutes at "d1" depth and "y" minutes at "d2" depth (all in one dive). I used the tables and assumed a SI of zero to get to whatever the answer was. So there is no change in PG between levels.

I can't view the questions again until I re-take the assessment though so I am going on memory. I got all of the table-related questions right though.

Before my ie I did some experiments with the tables and the erdpml. Using a surface interval of 0 gives the same results for multi level dives. The only differences arise from having to round up on the tables. If the values match the numbers on the table they are identical. I used the tables for some of the multi level questions in my ie because the app is awful. And I got 100% for that section.

Mike1967, thank you for that link! I re-did the assessment and got 100%. I found the website below to have much more challenging questions than the assessment had. Maybe the PADI final test will have similar questions as the assessment was very easy.

I did not see any assessment questions asking for multi-level planning via the RDP tables.

Using the PADI ERDPml

When people quit buying them, PADI had a lot left in stock. DM candidates were an easy captive audience, It has been a required purchase for DMs until they ran out of back stock. I have mine, still in the box.

The tables work for multi-level. I agree knowing how to use the tables is great and honestly until this class I did not have them wired.

Hmm maybe I don't know what "multi-level" means. The assessment had 1-2 questions that asked for the tables to be used, regarding dives of "x" minutes at "d1" depth and "y" minutes at "d2" depth (all in one dive). I used the tables and assumed a SI of zero to get to whatever the answer was. So there is no change in PG between levels.

Before my ie I did some experiments with the tables and the erdpml. Using a surface interval of 0 gives the same results for multi level dives.
This is not a valid procedure, in general. See https://www.scubaboard.com/communit...e-padi-rdp-table-for-multi-level-dives.595203 for a full explanation, but the short explanation is that the tables assume you are outgassing on the way to the surface at the end of your BT, and if you *don't* go to the surface then you are missing that bit of off-gassing. Yes, there are some some dive profiles where this effect is negligible, but others where it is not, and there is no way to tell if you are validly or invalidly using the tables for a multi-level dive. The link above cites a paper where the RDP table is used with special procedures for a multi-level dive, but it is awkward to use and prone to making mistakes.

Not disagreeing with you, and I understand your example case in the other thread, but why doesn't PADI mention this in the training for the RDP tables? The table itself has a ton of fine print, shouldn't they mention in there that the zero-SI procedure is not valid, or simply that the tables are not valid for ML?

In practice if you use the tables with any rounding-up for either depth or time, would you agree that you may more than compensate for this issue?

Not disagreeing with you, and I understand your example case in the other thread, but why doesn't PADI mention this in the training for the RDP tables? The table itself has a ton of fine print, shouldn't they mention in there that the zero-SI procedure is not valid, or simply that the tables are not valid for ML?
The instruction manual for the RDP makes it clear. RTFM.
In practice if you use the tables with any rounding-up for either depth or time, would you agree that you may more than compensate for this issue?
Yes, you may compensate for the issue. But you may not. There is no way to tell if you did unless the dive is calculated correctly with the Wheel or eRDPml and compared.

Short story: an instructor in a dive shop I used to hang out at taught the PADI AOW using Multi-Level diving as one of the dives. He used the table RDP and your SI=0 procedure. When the shop owner found out about that, the instructor was fired on the spot. Don't be that guy.

I am confused, why is SI=0? What is the purpose of that?

I am confused, why is SI=0? What is the purpose of that?
You need to read the thread. It is an incorrect procedure for calculating a multilevel dive....you get the PG at the end of one level, assume SI=0, and start on another level.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom