Trip Report Erojacks Artificial Reef at Dania Beach/ Mizell-Johnson State Park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Visibility was about 35ft with green haze.
In your excellent videos, that viz still looks really good compared to the dark stuff we still have. Nice dive report.

“Erojacks”? Those were invented in South Africa and we know them as “dolosse”. I wonder how that name change came to be?

“Erojacks”? Those were invented in South Africa and we know them as “dolosse”. I wonder how that name change came to be?
My understanding is they were first developed during WWII to as a deterrant from German landings in Europe.
A quickie google search for Erojacks brings up pages and pages about the site the OP is referring to. Very possible they have different names world wide.
A quickie google search landed me on Wikipedia that indeed says they were originally developed in S. Africa, thus proving my original information I was told many years ago is incorrect.
The shape of the Jacks in Dania is not as rounded as the photos shown on the wiki page.
There is another reef off Ft. Lauderdale, and is a longer swim out, and harder to find.

There is another reef off Ft. Lauderdale, and is a longer swim out, and harder to find.

And parking is a pain...

Screenshot_20230705-145248_Maps.jpg

There is a flipped over barge at the North end iircc.

And parking is a pain...

View attachment 791114

There is a flipped over barge at the North end iircc.
I vaguely recall that barge. I did it as an evening/night dive one time. It was cool, but yeah, a long ways out.. If I recall just about straight off the bathrooms in the parking lot. And that is some wide beach there too..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom