Escaping to warm water over a long weekend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Escaping to warm water over a long weekend?

what part of this is hard to understand?

Alaska airlines flies from LAX to Loreto where you have great diving in the Sea of Cortez. Small airport, easy in and out. Water won’t be as warm as it will be in the summer, but it would be my choice for a quick getaway. Also, there is an app called Mobile Passport. Download it and fill in your info. Will allow you to skip normal immigration and use the Glibal Entry line. I’ve used it multiple times and will again tonight when I fly back into US through Denver.

Thanks everyone; I'll look into Puerto Vallarta, Hawaii, and Loreto. Is Cabo not such a great destination, or is it just that there are easier/cheaper alternatives?

Trailboss or anyone else who has used Global Entry or Mobile Passport coming into LAX, can you give me more info on how it works? When we returned home recently, we waited in one pretty long line to use the kiosks, and then in a much longer line to see the customs agent. Would GE/MP have allowed us to bypass both lines or just the first one?

Newbie here, itching to dive again but not so sure about local diving over the next couple months, given the temperatures. I've been back in LA from my trip to Mexico less than 24 hours and I'm already plotting my return.

I have a 4-day weekend in February and was thinking about visiting Cabo, but I'm wondering if that's really enough time. Customs was brutal this trip; we were standing in line almost 3 hours. I'm willing to pay for Global Entry, assuming there's even time to get that processed, but if there's a cruise or other option that doesn't involve LAX that would be awesome. I'm open to the idea of driving but that does seem a little crazy. Ideas?

Considering no-fly time, is it really worth it?

I agree, when you figure in the travel time and the "no fly" time you won't have much opportunity to dive. Could you add a vacation day and get at least 5 days off?

Also be aware that February is still high season in many warm locations, so a lot of places may be booked up - especially over a holiday weekend. Good luck!

Yeah, that's another reason I'd rather avoid flying; between the madness of LAX and the no-fly time, seems like I could get to many points south by car or boat just as quickly. I'm surprised there isn't something like a 3-day dive boat trip going out of Long Beach; surely I'm not the only cold-water wuss in the area with limited vacation time who still wants to dive...or is that a more select group than I'm imagining? :-D

Thanks everyone; I'll look into Puerto Vallarta, Hawaii, and Loreto. Is Cabo not such a great destination, or is it just that there are easier/cheaper alternatives?

Trailboss or anyone else who has used Global Entry or Mobile Passport coming into LAX, can you give me more info on how it works? When we returned home recently, we waited in one pretty long line to use the kiosks, and then in a much longer line to see the customs agent. Would GE/MP have allowed us to bypass both lines or just the first one?

I'm one that does NOT regard Cabo as a dive destination. To me, it's an extension of Southern California, for Spring Breakers, and fisherman. Again, that's just me.

Yeah, that's another reason I'd rather avoid flying; between the madness of LAX and the no-fly time, seems like I could get to many points south by car or boat just as quickly. I'm surprised there isn't something like a 3-day dive boat trip going out of Long Beach; surely I'm not the only cold-water wuss in the area with limited vacation time who still wants to dive...or is that a more select group than I'm imagining? :-D
Truth Aquatics
There are usually plenty of three and four day trips available in SoCal. Wetsuits or drysuits are a necessity to dive here but you don't have to freeze.

mobile passport lets you bypass the kiosk and go directly to the global entry line. The actual Global Entry (which I also have) still requires you to go to the kiosk first and then to the global entry line. If you download the mobile passport app to your phone, it has a whole FAQ section in it that explains it all. It is good in 26 airports in the US and 3 cruise ports. LAX is one of the 26.

Back
Top Bottom