essential scuba related nonfiction?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jallen013

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey, now. So I'm not particularly a big reader (I enjoy a good book but have trouble finding the time) but I was wondering if there is a small collection of scuba related nonfiction that could be considered "essential" reading. Is there something out there I just have to read or that would specifically improve my diving? Thanks.

Most of the nonfiction books for diving that I have are related to dive sites and aquatic life identification. I also have kept and read all of my training manuals as they are really invaluable as refreshers during the off season or should you take any length of time off of diving.

I found inspiration in Shadow Divers, the story of John Chatterton and Richie Kohler discovering the U-869 off the coast of NJ.

Other than that, I've spent the last 6 months flipping through the US Navy Diving Manual on my iPad.

I think Mark Powell's Deco for Divers should be required reading for anybody who is interested in diving beyond the most superficial. I also like the PADI Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving, which, although it is written very simply, as all PADI materials are, still contains a great deal of good information. Steve Lewis's Six Skills, though written for technical divers, has a lot of thought-provoking content (and is quite entertainingly written, as well). Another good book with information for the recreational diver, although I don't agree with everything in it and some of it is dated, is Clay Coleman's Certified Diver's Handbook.

Last edited:
I like "Diver Down" - Real-World Scuba Accidents and How to Avoid Them by Michael R. Ange.

I've had lots of good feedback on my book. "SCUBA: A Practical Guide for the New Diver".
I also highly recommend Steve Lewis's "The Six Skills" and I firmly believe that every new diver should have a copy of the SDI Solo Diving student manual. It has the basic information that should be in every OW class.

And Dennis Graver's Scuba Diving 4th addition. What an OW text book should be.

I think Mark Powell's Deco for Divers should be required reading for anybody who is interested in diving beyond the most superficial. I also like the PADI Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving, which, although it is written very simply, as all PADI materials are, still contains a great deal of good information. Steve Lewis's Six Ski, though written for technical divers, has a lot of thought-provoking content (and is quite entertainingly written, as well). Another good book with information for the recreational diver, although I don't agree with everything in it and some of it is dated, is Clay Coleman's Certified Diver's Handbook.

I'll add to that: Even if you never do any of your own gear maintenance Vance Harlow's Scuba Regulator Maintenance and Repair.

I also think that at least skimming through Jablonski's Fundamentals book is a worthwhile read, especially if you haven't been exposed to DIR diving in any form before and are curious.

R..

Just downloaded sea lab for Kindle Looks interesting. Now if i can only get my Kindle back from my Girlfriend. Arrrggg

Perhaps it's sad to admit this, but I really enjoyed "The Physics of Scuba Diving" by Marlow Anderson, published in 2011.There isn't much in there that will make you a better diver, but it covers a lot of ground, and some history as well as physics - you can skip over the equations if that's not your thing ;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom