essential scuba related nonfiction?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BRAVO!

For a resident of Arizonia and less than 100 dives you certainly have a good start on developing a presentable dive library..Keep searching...Finding old classical dive books is like an adult Easter Egg hunt...And there are many many more to find and read.

Good luck!

SDM

thanks, those were just the ones I knew hadn't been mentioned at a quick glance. Between eBay and thriftbooks (most books are $3.95 with free shipping) I have a long way to go. I just found out that my dear mother disposed of the complete Jyc book set that I grew up with. She is not in my good graces right now.

Human Performance and Scuba Diving, Scripps Institution of Oceanography. Easy Diver, Lou Fead. In my opinion, no one should be allowed to be a scuba instructor if they have not read both. And every scuba diver should also read both.

Human Performance and Scuba Diving, Scripps Institution of Oceanography. Easy Diver, Lou Fead. In my opinion, no one should be allowed to be a scuba instructor if they have not read both. And every scuba diver should also read both.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Easy Diver" By Lou Fead

There are two printings of this book
1977 -Deep star publication, Crestline Ca. 176 pages Soft cover,(red cover) ISBN-0-918888-02-6
1983-Waterloo Enterprises, Fort Lauderdale Fla,176 pages Soft cover,(blue cover) ISBN-0-9610482-0-4

Which one do you have? Or is there a third edition ?

This was and is a very good book for all levels of the sport. Lou put a lot into this book and it shows.

According to SoCal rumor Lou, who lived in San Diego met a lovely lady diver who lived on the Hudson River in New York, Married, settled down, gave up recreational diving and never wrote another book..I often wonder if Lou is still with us?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Human Performance and Scuba Diving, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, proceeding from the Symposium on Underwater physiology," April 10-11 1970, 170 pages paper back.---That was 43 years ago! I suspect not too many on this board were diving then, possibly not even born.

What a fantastic event! What a great word for word published proceedings. It was the best diving symposium I ever attended and I suspect will never be duplicated. The presenters and the attendees were the pioneers and movers and shakers of diving. So many are now diving on that great reef in the sky. Only a few remain and we are rapidly dwindling in numbers.

Did you attend? I was in middle of my doctorate, but took time off to attend-, I am listed on page 167..

SDM
Very heady times in diving...Thank you for the post and reminding me of books, events and dear friends of long ago.

SDM

Last edited by a moderator:
All y'all... please feel free to edit the list by adding your suggestions with a link if possible.
Rick
I have purchased many of my scuba related books from thriftbooks.com. They carry a wide and ever changing range of books including many mentioned here. I have been able to score several that are out of print in excellent condition.

---------- Post added January 25th, 2013 at 11:09 AM ----------

Down time. Great writers on diving
challenging the deep. HHaas
Fatally Flawed. Schaik
The silent world. Jyc
face of the deep. Thomas
water and light. Harrigan
the living sea. JYC
neutral buoyancy. Ecott
diving into darkness. Finch
deep descent. Mcmurray
no safe harbor. Burnworth
Fatal depth. Haberstrog
touch the sea. Scarr
to unplumbed depths. Haas

Some off my shelves.

---------- Post added January 25th, 2013 at 11:11
Here's a summary with links of what we have so far...

BASIC SCUBA Roberts
Certified Diver's Handbook Coleman
Dangerous Marine Creatures Edmonds
Deco for Divers Powell
Diver Down Ange
Diving Science Strauss and Aksenov
Doing it Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving Jablonski
Exploring the Deep Frontier Nat Geo
Humann/Deloach series of fish/creature/coral i.d. books
In Harm's Way Stanton
PADI Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving
SCUBA: A Practical Guide for the New Diver Lapenta
Scuba Diving 4th edition Graver
Scuba Regulator Maintenance and Repair Harlow
SDI Solo Diving student manual
SEALAB: America's Forgotten Quest to Live and Work on the Ocean Floor
Shadow Divers Kurson
Six Skills Lewis
The Last Dive Chowdhury
The NOAA Diving Manual
The Physics of Scuba Diving Anderson
The Scuba Snobs Guide to Diving Etiquette
The scuba Snobs Guide to Diving Etiquette, BOOK 2
US Navy Diving Manual
Twelve Days of Terror
Fernicola

Here's what's in my shopping cart right now. I'm especially interested in the first two.

And no I don't have links.

The Rapture of the Deep: And Other Dive Stories You Probably Shouldn't Know
By Michael Zinsley
Format: Paperback
Publisher: 1st Books Library
TBID: 409959601

I Thought I Saw Atlantis: Reminiscences of a Pioneer Skin and Scuba Dive
By Albert Tillman
Publisher: Whalestooth Publications
TBID: 410008485

The Living Sea.(1963)
By Jacques Yves Cousteau
Format: Hardcover
Publisher: Harpercollins
TBID: 609245350

Fireside Diver
By Bonnie Cardon
Publisher: Aqua Quest Publications
TBID: 1104238182

The Science of Skin and Scuba Diving: Adventuring with Safety Under Water (1959)
By
Publisher: Association Press
TBID: 1202899948

Here's what's in my shopping cart right now. I'm especially interested in the first two.

And no I don't have links. ...

The Living Sea.(1963)
By Jacques Yves Cousteau
Publisher: Harpercollins
TBID: 609245350
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I do no comprehend your book identification numbering system-"TBID ." Is it your private system or that of a book merchant?

Normally books are identified by LCCC or ISBN numbers. FYI a little education for you and so far all posters to this thread:

In 1898, Library of Congress Card Number was established and the acronym LCCN became in common usage. It is currently referred to as Library of Congress Catalog Card Number, aka LCCC and generally appears in the first few pages of a LCCC recorded book.

The International Standard Book Number (ISBN) is a unique numeric commercial book identifier based upon the 9-digit Standard Book Numbering (SBN) code created in 1965. originally it was a 10-digit ISBN format, however, since 1 January 2007, ISBNs have contained 13 digits.

For instance you list JYC's book "The living sea" which has a LCCC number of 62-14525. The number "62" is the date the LCCC was issued, the book could have been printed several years later, 62-14525, represents the correct LCCC number.

Therefore most books will contain a LCCC or an ISBN

Occasionally, a book may appear without a printed ISBN or LCCC if it is printed privately, which has become very popular with the advent of the electronic revolution and desk top publishing

SDM

Not to be petty (much ;-) but I mentioned the Marlow Anderson book on 16/01, way back on page 1. I should have mentioned at the time how well-edited it was, of course. :D

I'm really enjoying this thread, and kudos back to Rick for pulling the consolidated list together. I know where all my Xmas book tokens are going this year!

Back
Top Bottom