Etiquette on carrying a knife during dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having said that, something that he and I are equally afraid of are sharks. I'm not going to isolate our fear to one or two types, we are simply afraid of sharks. This might be the point in my thread where someone tells me if that's the case, I need to find something else to do but I will press on.

I want to know what the etiquette is of carrying a knife underwater simply to have as a resource to defend myself should the need ever arise.

Vuk, if this helps put things in perspective: sharks are a lot smarter than you (or most people) imagine. They have no interest in eating people, and in many popular dive locations they understand the real value in training humans to do their bidding.

I was in St Kitts last week and our guide took us on a "shark dive". At this particular site the dive ops make a habit of spearing lionfish and feeding them to the reef sharks. Soon after we got in the water, several sharks showed up to greet us. They led the swim, we followed them and they patiently waited for us to catch up. This continued for a couple minutes until they stopped... right where four lionfish were hanging out in the reef. The sharks patiently waited while our guide killed their lunch.

I'm no fan of feeding wild animals, but if you're fortunate enough to see a shark while diving, it will either ignore you, run from you, or act like you're it's best friend (if it thinks you'll catch its lunch.)

Will say I would never dive anywhere that prohibits knives OR gloves.

But many of the places that ban gloves and knives (e.g. Cozumel...) do so to maintain the integrity of their marine park. The ban keeps people from touching stuff and there's very limited chance of running into any entanglement (because fishing is generally prohibited.) While I generally use gloves and bring my knife along when I dive, I'll gladly leave them at home if the tradeoff is a better dive experience. I've never had a use for either while diving at the places that ban them.

But many of the places that ban gloves and knives (e.g. Cozumel...) do so to maintain the integrity of their marine park. The ban keeps people from touching stuff and there's very limited chance of running into any entanglement (because fishing is generally prohibited.) While I generally use gloves and bring my knife along when I dive, I'll gladly leave them at home if the tradeoff is a better dive experience. I've never had a use for either while diving at the places that ban them.
One of the chief reasons people cite for carrying knives, freeing yourself from fishing line, becomes less critical in a marine park that bans fishing.

Bonaire allows fishing... One of my favorite things to do is clean up line that's all over places like oil slick...

Jim...

Sure they ban knives, but there are other options like scissors or Z knives to get yourself out of problems. Cozumel only bans open blade knives as far as I know. The trip last year I was on I saw a few divers with the Z knives.

Sure they ban knives, but there are other options like scissors or Z knives to get yourself out of problems. Cozumel only bans open blade knives as far as I know. The trip last year I was on I saw a few divers with the Z knives.

Why those Z knives cost $20 I cannot fathom. Razor blades and injection molded plastic are cheap. Instead, just get some shears (scissors) which are dirt cheap. Not useful against sharks, but likely all you need for entanglement hazards.

Using knives or other cutting tools and whether to patronize this or that dive op are personal decisions. At some of my shore dives here at home I carry the knife and at others I don't. There are probably other things you can rarely get entangled in--like really tall sea grass or kelp perhaps-- Though I have not yet had to use my knife. I do always wear gloves of one kind or another. Stuff happens, like surge acting up with rocks around that could cut your hands. So, I keep this philosophy wherever I dive.
I know it's not a place where I could damage a reef, but I do recall a couple of years ago diving with my brother in Long Island Sound. He was using his knife to dig up clams and said "Man I wish I had gloves on like you".

Last edited:
I have had really nasty reactions to nematocysts so I cover as much skin as possible. I have been "stung" when I was midwater by cells that were floating in the water column. The last thing I want to do is miss out on diving because my hands are too swollen and sore to use my equipment effectively.

Research ahead of time is vital. I make sure I know what I am getting into before I put down my $. If the dive operator can't allow me to dive with my gloves and Medical certificate I will find some where more suitable to my needs.

Sorry if this is a hijack, but as others have mentioned gloves:eek:ver the years, I have seen people get "stung" by things on a mooring line (jelly fish stingers or??),gotten "rope splinters" from the line itself, and was on a boat, but didn't see a guy get his palm sliced by something on the line. (barnacles?)

I wear gloves on pretty much every dive, just for those kinds of reasons.

For wet diving, I get these:

Polyurethane Coated Nylon Work Gloves Large

$2 a pair!

I was skeptical of how they would hold up to diving wrecks and occasionally grabbing hold of something on the wreck, the anchor line, etc.. So far, the polyurethane coating has really impressed me. I have been using them for a few months and have not yet gotten any punctures or cuts. I suppose they probably won't really give me any protection if I hit the back of my hand against a sea urchin or lionfish or even a jellyfish tentacle. But then, I'm not sure the $20 Cressi reef gloves I still have would do that, either.

And, these are so thin and fit so snug I have absolutely minimal impairment to my dexterity.

This all reminds me, I will probably pick some up in a larger size so I can wear them over my dry gloves, too, to protect the rubber dry glove from cuts and general wear. My dry gloves have also been surprisingly durable, but the rubber is pretty thin...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom